Swap out old wired-in oven for new one with plug: how?

As we don't know what the oven is, let alone its cable, this seems rather a pointless argument.
So what is the maximum flex you can get into a 13amp plug, your proposing he cuts the plug off and connects into a Non compliant junction box, you can be wreckless sometimes, oh and by the way, as you like pulling others to task, your spelling earlier was atrocious (quidence )

Sponsored Links
Read my earlier post where I said:

"Don't like all that tape over the junction box. Is it broken? Would be best to replace it if so, preferably with a cooker outlet connector."

Before critising others spelling you need to learn when to use "there" and "their".

Read my earlier post where I said:

"Don't like all that tape over the junction box. Is it broken? Would be best to replace it if so, preferably with a cooker outlet connector."

Before critising others spelling you need to learn when to use "there" and "their".
Winston, it is you who are complicating the issue. The OP Specifically stated in his first post
can I easily (and safely) connect the oven to the switch without removing the oven's own plug
it would better better for everyone if you couldread and understand the requirement before driving off in a different direction.

@Noeggspurt do as suggested above. Remove the junction box and fit a single 13amp socket. Then you can plug it straight in without butchering the plug.

Oh yes, and ignore this further misdirection
There is even guidence to say anything over 2 kW should not be plugged in. N.B. guidence not a regulation.
That guidance is specifically About connecting high current devices to ring final circuits. The ‘cooker’ circuit is not on a ring final. It is perfectly ok to plug it in.

While we are talking about spelling what is this guidence you refer to?
Not perfect at all are we?

Hope that Winston remembers to take his medication this morning. :p

Last edited:
Winston, it is you who are complicating the issue. The OP Specifically stated in his first post
it would better better for everyone if you couldread and understand the requirement before driving off in a different direction.

@Noeggspurt do as suggested above. Remove the junction box and fit a single 13amp socket. Then you can plug it straight in without butchering the plug.

Oh yes, and ignore this further misdirection

That guidance is specifically About connecting high current devices to ring final circuits. The ‘cooker’ circuit is not on a ring final. It is perfectly ok to plug it in.

While we are talking about spelling what is this guidence you refer to?
Not perfect at all are we?

Hope that Winston remembers to take his medication this morning. :p

I was merely suggesting what I believe is a better alternative. A plug and socket behind the oven could prevent the oven going right in and is a pain should the fuse fail or if it overheated due to poor fuse contacts with a high oven load.

Had my coffee this morning thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally a box is sunk behind the cupboard next to the cooker.

Personally I quite like 2 Gangs together.
For a cooker outlet and a socket for hob gas ignition. The socket can also be used for an oven as is becoming more popular.

But anyway, you only need a single gang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back