Can I wire 13a oven to a plug?

That's what I did. A different oven, but similar rating, so I used a 13A plug. .... Isn't it normal practice to use a 13A plug for a 3kW electric fire? I've done that before now.
Many ≤3kW ovens and ≤3kW electric heaters do, indeed, come with fitted 13A plugs and get used as such. Although it is 'OK' (everything being used within its ratings), I personally am more comfortable having 'fixed wiring', rather than a plug/socket, for loads that high.

One of the theoretical issues is that it is said that the 'wiping' of pins and contacts of 13A plugs/sockets when the plug is inserted or removed which helps to keep the electrical contact surfaces 'tarnish free' (hence improving electrical contact). A plug on an oven may well not be pulled out of the socket for literally years.

Kind Regards, John

Good point. But what would happen if electrical contact became less efficient? Arcing? Over-heating?
(A genuine question; I am not an expert.)

Sponsored Links
Good point. But what would happen if electrical contact became less efficient? Arcing? Over-heating? (A genuine question; I am not an expert.)
The main theoretical risk is overheating.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Ok, I'm an idiot. I didn't even think about this. :(

I have a gas hob that needs to be plugged in to the mains to provide the spark. However, now I only have the unswitched fcu behind the cooker. How the hell do I fix this? :confused:

Ok, I'm an idiot. I didn't even think about this. :( .... I have a gas hob that needs to be plugged in to the mains to provide the spark. However, now I only have the unswitched fcu behind the cooker. How the hell do I fix this? :confused:
I guess that you'll probably need to install a socket for the hob ignitor, fed from the FCU. The hob is obviously a trivial load.

Kind REegards, John

Sponsored Links
So do I wire from the load, as opposed to the supply? And should I use 1.5 or 2.5t&e?

Thanks

So do I wire from the load, as opposed to the supply? And should I use 1.5 or 2.5t&e?
If you wired it from the load side of the FCU, that would avoid any possible arguments about 'strict compliance with regulations', regardless of what I might think! If you did that, 1.5mm² cable would be fine, although you could use 2.5mm² if you wished.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back