Swapping master and dummy BT socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just bought a new house and the BT openreach socket is in a strange place in the hall way. Previous owners had their router stuck to the wall behind the front door, not ideal.

I have experience with cat5/6 cabling and have the tools to recrimp etc, aware it being property of BT.

Please see pictures, would I be able to redirect the main feed to a socket in ANY other room? I have telephone sockets in various other rooms.

51341759452_7cedc74986_z.jpg

51341759422_055ca8a096_z.jpg

51343492910_ddacc2c82e_z.jpg

Just wondered if it can be done without adding new wiring and if I can somehow redirect the main feed to another room.

Cheers for any advice/help

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. You could replace the existing Master, with a suitable joint, then either use the existing wiring to the extension socket to install the Master in the place of the extension socket. Alternatively, you could install a new cable for a new position for the Master, then on to the existing extension socket or a new one.

the wires connected to the terminals a & b are the main incoming line, and the cables connected to the removeable bottom part(top pic) is the extension wiring. in theory you could connect the incoming to the extension wiring direct and reuse the master in another room but you are not really supposed to touch the openreach side of the install. (cough,cough) if you get it wrong and OR need to come out and sort they will charge

You don't need to change anything. Just plug your router into one of the extension sockets (via a micro filter).

Sponsored Links
You don't need to change anything. Just plug your router into one of the extension sockets (via a micro filter).
Once again poor/incomplete advice from Pooh bear.

It's the phone that needs the microfilter not the router.

Obviously if there's a phone and router at the same socket then yes the filter is required.

Who is Pooh bear.

You are right that the router does not need the micro filter. But the plug on the router does not fit a phone socket. So the supplied micro filter is the easiest way to adapt the phone socket to the router plug.

Who is Pooh bear.

You are right that the router does not need the micro filter. But the plug on the router does not fit a phone socket. So the supplied micro filter is the easiest way to adapt the phone socket to the router plug.
Replied elsewhere

Quite apart from the references to characters invented by A. A. Milne, it is "interesting" to see discussions concerning "BT openreach" and the extensions thereof - if any.

As the "outsider" which I am, I would appreciate an "education" concerning "BT openreach".

While the "telephone network" in this country did (laboriously) carry ADSL communications, one earlier Government said "we will replace this with a National Broadband Network (NBN) with Optic Fibre to all homes/premises.

After the next election, the new Government said "we can do this cheaper for about half/quarter than that.

While the NBN was originally supposed to be "Fiber to the Premises" for all, it then became "Fiber to somewhere nearby" and co-axial cable beyond that (if you are lucky) and via your old corroding copper telephone cables if you are not so lucky to live in areas which used to have "cable distribution"!

After more than ten years, the current Government has still not got to a complete National Broadband Network.
They are now replacing the "copper" with optic fiber in some areas to get the whole thing working !!

Because they tried to install the National Broadband Network (NBN) on the "cheap", it is now costing more to replace the old failing infrastructure than it would have been to do it "properly" (with "expensive" fiber optic cable) in the first place!

51343492910_ddacc2c82e_z.jpg

Just wondered if it can be done without adding new wiring and if I can somehow redirect the main feed to another room.

Cheers for any advice/help

Just noticed you don't want to add wiring.
You could use the unused green pair on the bottom plate, connect to the unused AB terminals I mentioned in a previous post, and fit an RJ11 socket on the other end of the green wires, if that will help you

Just noticed you don't want to add wiring.
You could use the unused green pair on the bottom plate, connect to the unused AB terminals I mentioned in a previous post, and fit an RJ11 socket on the other end of the green wires, if that will help you
I dont think that style of removeable front plate had extra a/b terminals so the op would have to connect the green pair as you suggested to the a/b on the normally fixed bit and connect a new RJ11 socket to the same green pair next to an existing socket (or buy a new socket with telephone and rj11 in the same plate and swap the existing wiring to the new telephone socket and the green pair the rj11)
new socket like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261783535607?hash=item3cf383bff7:g:~i0AAOSw79BgJZaD

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It does. It’s in the middle of the sandwich and they are shown in the picture in my FIRST post

But agree later ones are a bit better, but unnecessary

Thank you all so much for the great replies! I really appreciate it, I have a 2 year old so saving me the trouble of having a router in the hall way which could be a potential trip hazard is the goal, also it would look ****e.

Green pair on the A/B extension would be ideal, I assume I can, as you say, replace an upstair telephone socket with an RJ11 faceplate for router, alternatively, can I connect the green pair to the regular phone socket and use a filter (for sake of rj11) for quickness? I would have to work out the pin connections I guess on the back.

But yes, RJ11 socket is my best bet so I will get one ordered.

Thank you

On the rj11. You use the middle 2 pins.
Do you have a phone plugged in? And where

suresit’soff link is good for rj11

I forgot the extra a/b are middle left on that faceplate.
the faceplate I linked to has phone and RJ11 socket so just connect the green pair to the a/b and to the middle pins on the rj11 socket

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back