Swapping master and dummy BT socket

Just noticed you don't want to add wiring.
You could use the unused green pair on the bottom plate, connect to the unused AB terminals I mentioned in a previous post, and fit an RJ11 socket on the other end of the green wires, if that will help you
I'm really struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve. If the cable is going to the same place, why not use the existing blue pair that's already connected?

Sponsored Links
Just noticed you don't want to add wiring.
You could use the unused green pair on the bottom plate, connect to the unused AB terminals I mentioned in a previous post, and fit an RJ11 socket on the other end of the green wires, if that will help you
I'm really struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve. If the cable is going to the same place, why not use the existing blue pair that's already connected?

The blue pair could be the filtered wires for a phone.(as is currently)
And green pair for router.

Sponsored Links
Your getting as bad as winston in this subject :LOL:

The micro filter is sandwiched between the rear of the master socket and the lower front plate. It’s the part that has the rj11 socket at the top

Your getting as bad as winston in this subject :LOL:

The micro filter is sandwiched between the rear of the master socket and the lower front plate. It’s the part that has the rj11 socket at the top
My apologies, I haven't come across this type. I'd seen the additional socket but seeing nothing behind it assumed it was a 'common moulding' and therefore a blank area for different versions of the unit.

Heaven forbid I get as bad as winston1, if I do please shoot me and put me, and all of you, out of the misery. I'm surprised he hasn't been telling us it's not an RJ11.

As the "outsider" which I am, I would appreciate an "education" concerning "BT openreach".
A long time ago, British Telecom owned and operated 99% of the telephone network in the UK, including the exchanges, the copper wires to individual premises and all of the rest that connects them together. If you wanted a telephone, you got it from BT. There was no other choice, and you paid whatever BT told you to pay. If BT didn't think you were worthy of renting a telephone, you got nothing.

Then it was decided that competition would be a really good thing, and other companies could provide telephone and internet services using the wires that BT owned.
After much wrangling and excessive expenditure, Openreach was created as a wholly owned subsidiary of BT, which owns and maintains the manky old copper wires between the exchange and the individual premises.

Today you can obtain service from many companies, some of which just resell services from others, some which actually install their own equipment in the exchanges.
However in every case, it's still the same old copper pair from the exchange to the premises, and if those go wrong, it's Openreach that has to repair them.
For the end user when a problem occurs it's:
1 - contact the provider that you buy service from
2 - provider fobs people off with useless solutions such as unplugging, switching on and off, etc.
3 - provider eventually sends request to Openreach to fix the problem
4 - Openreach arrive and do whatever they do
5 - Fault may be fixed. If not, go to 1 and repeat.
End users can't contact Openreach directly.

Openreach owns the cabling up to the master socket, and the master socket itself. Anything after that such as extension cabling and extension sockets is the property owner's responsibility.
In theory only Openreach is supposed to alter the master socket and any wiring before it. Reality is often different.

In terms of internet service, most of the country is still on those manky old copper wires. Most areas have what's wrongly sold as 'fibre' which is really just fibre to a cabinet in the street with manky old copper wires to the premises. Theoretical speeds 80Mbit download, 20 upload. In reality usually a lot less, particularly if the cabinet is far away, which they often are. Or the copper wires take a very long route, have multiple joins, corrosion, are run adjacent to 100s of other pairs or are that flat twin non-twisted pair cable that was used extensively in the 1970s.

A non-trivial number of locations still have manky old wires direct to the exchange, and for those the absolute best is a download of about 16, but in reality will next to useless as many of those are very long lines and barely work at all.

Some more fortunate people can have fibre into the premises, but that's still the minority. Currently being installed to more places, but it's a long, drawn out process that should have been completed a decade or more ago. Will be another decade or more before majority coverage is reached.

Due to the above, the service you get depends entirely on the state of the Openreach network in your location. You can buy service from a wide selection of providers, but the limiting factor is the network. If you live somewhere with a rubbish network you get rubbish service - but will pay the same as those in more fortunate areas.

The only other option is locations where companies have installed their own independent network cabling such as Virgin Media and others - but that's mainly a selection of some parts of larger towns and cities.

:LOL:

John. You forgot step 3.5. Wait 3-5 days depending on the SLA agreement between provider and OR

not sure I agree with your speeds. I’ve seen ‘fibre’ 74mbps over a longish route.

and 1mbps on asdl via 3 miles?

The “lucky” people to have fibre to premises on new builds have no choice to pay thru the nose as there are few providers. BT being cheap!!

Our street recently had gigabit installed to a manhole by the driveway. Roadworks and traffic lights all over the town

A long time ago, British Telecom owned and operated 99% of the telephone network in the UK, including the exchanges, the copper wires to individual premises and all of the rest that connects them together. If you wanted a telephone, you got it from BT. There was no other choice, and you paid whatever BT told you to pay. If BT didn't think you were worthy of renting a telephone, you got nothing.

Then it was decided that competition would be a really good thing, and other companies could provide telephone and internet services using the wires that BT owned.
After much wrangling and excessive expenditure, Openreach was created as a wholly owned subsidiary of BT, which owns and maintains the manky old copper wires between the exchange and the individual premises.

Today you can obtain service from many companies, some of which just resell services from others, some which actually install their own equipment in the exchanges.
However in every case, it's still the same old copper pair from the exchange to the premises, and if those go wrong, it's Openreach that has to repair them.
For the end user when a problem occurs it's:
1 - contact the provider that you buy service from
2 - provider fobs people off with useless solutions such as unplugging, switching on and off, etc.
3 - provider eventually sends request to Openreach to fix the problem
4 - Openreach arrive and do whatever they do
5 - Fault may be fixed. If not, go to 1 and repeat.
End users can't contact Openreach directly.

Openreach owns the cabling up to the master socket, and the master socket itself. Anything after that such as extension cabling and extension sockets is the property owner's responsibility.
In theory only Openreach is supposed to alter the master socket and any wiring before it. Reality is often different.

In terms of internet service, most of the country is still on those manky old copper wires. Most areas have what's wrongly sold as 'fibre' which is really just fibre to a cabinet in the street with manky old copper wires to the premises. Theoretical speeds 80Mbit download, 20 upload. In reality usually a lot less, particularly if the cabinet is far away, which they often are. Or the copper wires take a very long route, have multiple joins, corrosion, are run adjacent to 100s of other pairs or are that flat twin non-twisted pair cable that was used extensively in the 1970s.

A non-trivial number of locations still have manky old wires direct to the exchange, and for those the absolute best is a download of about 16, but in reality will next to useless as many of those are very long lines and barely work at all.

Some more fortunate people can have fibre into the premises, but that's still the minority. Currently being installed to more places, but it's a long, drawn out process that should have been completed a decade or more ago. Will be another decade or more before majority coverage is reached.

Due to the above, the service you get depends entirely on the state of the Openreach network in your location. You can buy service from a wide selection of providers, but the limiting factor is the network. If you live somewhere with a rubbish network you get rubbish service - but will pay the same as those in more fortunate areas.

The only other option is locations where companies have installed their own independent network cabling such as Virgin Media and others - but that's mainly a selection of some parts of larger towns and cities.
A few months ago I received a sales call from BT, unusually it was genuine and british, after a decent conversation where she was trying to convince me I could have fibre fitted to the house. I knew and tried to explain: 1) There are no ducts in our road and 2) I'm already on their version of fibre from a nearby cabinet 200yds down the road and more than 200yds of twisted pair to the house, I eventually agreed to sign up. I was passed around to several different advisors until a guy did yet another speed test. "You are already on fibre but we can put you on the waiting list if we do put fibre in." "Any ideas when that might be?" "There are no plans at the moment due to the average age of the residents."

Last edited:
:LOL:

John. You forgot step 3.5. Wait 3-5 days depending on the SLA agreement between provider and OR

not sure I agree with your speeds. I’ve seen ‘fibre’ 74mbps over a longish route.

and 1mbps on asdl via 3 miles?

The “lucky” people to have fibre to premises on new builds have no choice to pay thru the nose as there are few providers. BT being cheap!!

Our street recently had gigabit installed to a manhole by the driveway. Roadworks and traffic lights all over the town
When we first went onto 'fibre' in a box down the road, we were on about 65Mbs but as more have been attached to the service it's usually more like 30Mbs.

Round where I am the copper cables generally run underground (not sure if direct burried or duct but I suspect the former in at least some cases) to DPs on poles and then overhead to the houses. It doesn't seem to have stopped them putting FTTP connectorised DPs on all the poles. It seems depending on the particular pole they either dig in a new duct to feed them or feed them overhead from another pole.

Round where I am the copper cables generally run underground (not sure if direct burried or duct but I suspect the former in at least some cases) to DPs on poles and then overhead to the houses. It doesn't seem to have stopped them putting FTTP connectorised DPs on all the poles. It seems depending on the particular pole they either dig in a new duct to feed them or feed them overhead from another pole.
We have no poles and buried direct SWA, ironically there are joint boxes where the SWA's enter via a short length of duct and come together in a joint. recent gas mains replacement exposed the whole of the side one box along the road, the duct is about 500mm long and the end is sealed with putty.

Heaven forbid I get as bad as winston1, if I do please shoot me and put me, and all of you, out of the misery. I'm surprised he hasn't been telling us it's not an RJ11.

He is NOT bad. You have nothing to worry about. Just beware of the cyber bullies on here.

Not quite true. Virgin Media use their own cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back