Swapping plastic spotlights for metal ones....earthing query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post, so hello first of all :cool:

The reason I signed up is that my Mum asked if I could swap over some old tatty plastic spotlights for some fancy metal ones.

On removing the old lights, it seems whoever installed it incorporated the old rose fitting, and wired the spots up via that. As the lights are plastic, and with no earth connection, then this was not an issue.

The new spotlights are metal, and have an earth connection. I am unsure whether, as the old rose fitting is being used and earth cables are terminated here, whether the lights need a earth cable run to them from the rose as well, or whether it is ok to just wire up the new spotlights to the earth/neutral as the who shebang is earthed at the rose.

I should add, I am waiting to hear back from a friend of a friend who is a sparky, before doing anything, but figured I would ask here as well.

Oh, and the moral of the story is when your Mum asks for a favour....run away :p.

Cheers.

Jamie

Old lights:

VPbm8GE.jpg

'Efficient' fitting:

W9Bi8Y0.jpg

kgzkk0J.jpg

New light:

WixmM31.jpg

Sponsored Links
The new spotlights are metal, and have an earth connection. I am unsure whether, as the old rose fitting is being used and earth cables are terminated here, whether the lights need a earth cable run to them from the rose as well,
Yes, of course they do.

or whether it is ok to just wire up the new spotlights to the earth/neutral as the who shebang is earthed at the rose.
I think you got that wrong - but no.

Just use a piece of 3core (L,N & E) flex to connect the light to the rose or
the present flex plus a length of green&yellow wire.
The bare CPCs (earths) at the rose should be sleeved green&yellow.

Just use a piece of 3core (L,N & E) flex to connect the light to the rose or the present flex plus a length of green&yellow wire.
The bare CPCs (earths) at the rose should be sleeved green&yellow.

Thanks for setting me straight. I had the feeling I was wrong, hence checking first.

I will probably run a separate length of green/yellow wire from the earth terminal to the light fitting, as should be able to salvage some from one of the myriad of extension lead cables I have laying about.

Could you expand on the existing earths needing to be sleeved. Do you mean just the portions coming into the rose? If so, I assume individually?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If you have a sparks as a friend of a friend, I suggest you ask your friend to ask their sparky friend, to prove the earth at the light is actually continuous back to your supply earth, if not, your are introducing a potential dangerous situation. Don't take things for granted.

The moral of this story, is make sure your Mum has made a will prior to replacing plastic class II fittings with metallic ones :eek:

I will probably run a separate length of green/yellow wire from the earth terminal to the light fitting, as should be able to salvage some from one of the myriad of extension lead cables I have laying about.

Do not do that. The earth conductor should be contained with the same outer sheath as the live&neutral leads.
EFLImpedance has already told you what to do,

1mm 3 core flex is dirt cheap, why not do it properly?? It IS your own mother, after all. Or is there a large legacy you want to get your mitts on? ;)

Do not do that. The earth conductor should be contained with the same outer sheath as the live&neutral leads.[/quote]
I can't see any reason for that. We're only talking about 12" of cable, in the same enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back