Swiss light fixtures (fittings) - how to connect them to the ceiling wires

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi all! Could you please advise and assure me I'm planning to do the light wiring correctly?

I live in Switzerland (Zurich) and need to install two ceiling lights. The attached pictures are named accordingly based on what light fixing is supposed to be attached to what wires.

For the light fixing 1 - I'll connect the neutral blue to blue, ground green/yellow to green/yellow and the live wire orange to brown, right? My question here is, when you look at the light's white plastic box in which I connect the wires... There are for each L, N, and ground two holes into which I can put the wire from the ceiling. Should I put it in the same one (opposite) as the wire from the light or should I put it in the "neighbour" hole next to it?

For the light fixing 2 - I'll connect the neutral blue to blue and the live wire purple to brown, right? As the light fixing doesn't have a ground wire, I'll keep the green/yellow isolated with the white plastic cover at the end, as it is, and tuck it away back to the hole. Same question as above, to which hole within the L, N sections should I put it?

My last question is regarding those transparent plastic "connectors" visible on the Ceiling wiring 1_inside picture (used for the blue neutral wire) and on the Ceiling wiring 2_inside picture (used for the live purple wire) - what are those for and should I be concerned that in one case it is used for the neutral wire and in other case it is used for the live wire?

Thanks a lot in advance for your expertise

Attachments

• Ceiling wires 1.jpg
    Ceiling wires 1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,456
  • Ceiling wires 2.jpg
    Ceiling wires 2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,211
  • Ceiling wiring 1_inside.jpg
    Ceiling wiring 1_inside.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,060
  • Ceiling wiring 2_inside.jpg
    Ceiling wiring 2_inside.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,523
  • Light fixing 1.jpg
    Light fixing 1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,522
  • Light fixing 2.jpg
    Light fixing 2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,571
Sponsored Links
1 & 2 The connection of the two earth wires shown in picture 5 (Light Fitting 1) should answer your question.
When the associated labeled tab on either of these connectors is pressed, any stripped wire in either hole will be released - allowing the insertion of a stripped conductor in the adjacent hole, if it is vacant, and the re-insertion of the existing wire in the first hole.

However, you appear to have no "hole" there to insert the incoming Earth wire - from the ceiling in the connectors shown.

The connectors shown for the Light Fixings may have holes on the "other" side for connecting up to another two stripped conductors. (However you have not shown that "other" side.)
If there are holes there, the incoming wires should be connected there, as appropriate.
(If not, it appears that you may need another 3 wire Wago connector in order to connect the incoming Earth to the Earth wires to Light Fixing 1 and its mounting.)

The 'transparent plastic "connectors"' are Wago type connectors and, used to join/extend wires and are suitable for joining/connecting insulated conductors within suitable "Junction Boxes".

(The wires which you refer to as "live" are "Switched Line" wires. i.e. NOT permanently "live".)

Last edited:
The connectors shown for the Light Fixings may have holes on the "other" side for connecting up to another two stripped conductors. (However you have not shown that "other" side.)
If there are holes there, the incoming wires should be connected there, as appropriate.

Thanks you, Frodo, for your reply. Yes ,there are holes on the other side of the connector. I assume then when connecting the wires in the connector, they should be in the holes opposite of each other, right? And in case of the earth wire being there twice, one leading to the metal holder that is screwed to the ceiling, the other one leading to the base of the lamp, I assume in this case I should put the incoming earth wire to the home opposite of the one leading to the base of the lamp, correct? Attaching the lamp manuals for reference and another picture of the light fitting 1 showing where the earth cables are connected. Thanks!

Update: Unfortunately couldn't attach the PDF manual, so links here:
https://www.ikea.com/at/de/assembly_instructions/alghult-hangeleuchte__AA-899644-3_pub.pdf

https://www.ikea.com/ch/de/assembly_instructions/ikea-ps-hangeleuchte__AA-1487640-2_pub.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_165112.jpg
    IMG_20180520_165112.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_20180520_165104.jpg
    IMG_20180520_165104.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 680
Sponsored Links

Picture 4 on Page 9 shows the situation where you should put the incoming earth wire to the home opposite of the one leading to the base of the lamp.

The other incoming wires also go into the appropriated positions, opposite the ones already connected.
(When two adjacent holes are used, the wires should be of the same gauge and type.
When the opposite holes are used, the gauge and type of (the 2) wires may differ.)

Back