Switch cable-which is live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!! Just bought house, trying to fit light into bathroom. There are two strands of red/brown/earth coming from the ceiling where a light used to exist, however, the "switch" cable is not marked up. Does anyone have a tip on how to find which one of the 2 black/red ones is the switch one, without me blowing too many fuses? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Power off, continuity setting (or low ohms) range on your multimeter, and an assistant opperating the switch

Thanks for the tips, must find a multimeter. Neil, I think that this time I'll wait until I'm your assistant flicking the switch before following that advice!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Can get a semi decent multimeter for 5 or 6 quid - infintely more useful....

Thanks to all. Had tried leckie screwdriver but it didn't work. I went back to basics and carefully traced the cables through touch. Felt a bit like a Gynecologist!! but was lucky, system works. Switch cable now clearly marked. :cool:

Does he feel like a c..................

On second thoughts maybe not eh? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back