switch off light and switch alternative light.

You shouldn't work on a light that is only 'switched off'.
Naughty me.

But then, when it's your own house, and you know that the switch is off, and you know that there isn't another switch or feed, and you know that nobody is going to turn it on....

Sponsored Links
I know i could have a seperate switch, but hey, would be good, so i dont have to have multiple switches everywhere.
A 2-gang switch is hardly "multiple switches everywhere".

But if you really must only have a 1-gang, ask the electrician to fit a 2-way switch with a centre-off position. (e.g. MK Grid Plus)

true true :). But i didnt mention the wall lights, so there's easily 3 switches there, before you know it.

Anyhow, this was just an idea. was interesting to read the professionals pitfalls of it. Having read their comments, doubt i'll go ahead with it. Mainly because of isolation. Might as well have an independent switch in that case. :)

OK - a 3-gang switch.

It's not such a big deal - why do you think that so many accessory manufacturers sell 3-gang ones? And 4? And 6?

It's because they are perfectly normal and common things for people to have.

OK - a 3-gang switch.

It's not such a big deal - why do you think that so many accessory manufacturers sell 3-gang ones? And 4? And 6?

I dunno, cause it's my house and just maybe, just maybe i might dare to be a bit different? at what point did i say in my original question, it's a massive issue and my kids and wife are threatening to leave me unless they get a silly LED that stays on all the time? Of course, had i explained further, i might have also said, I am relatively conversed in networks and security and could use programming (home automation) to acheive my ends, but i prefer the mechanical side when it comes to my home. i like the idea of mainly mechanics, rather than algorithms, being the answer. is that OK? can i continue to have thoughts and asks others to comment on them? It was constructive criticism/thoughts i was after...

It's because they are perfectly normal and common things for people to have.

Ah cause it's "normal"..right..ok..makes sense.. i mean all the other posts about perhaps needing isolation and might be more hassle than it's worth dont, but your does. Does it occur to you that i might have posted on a forum for details/reasons/understanding why things are the way they are?

thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Ah cause it's "normal"..right..ok..makes sense.. i mean all the other posts about perhaps needing isolation and might be more hassle than it's worth dont, but your does.
Isolation is a red herring.

Does it occur to you that i might have posted on a forum for details/reasons/understanding why things are the way they are?
No, but it did occur to me given this:

I know i could have a seperate switch, but hey, would be good, so i dont have to have multiple switches everywhere.
But i didnt mention the wall lights, so there's easily 3 switches there, before you know it.

that trying so hard to get away with one of these:

MKK4872.JPG

because one of these:

MKK4873.JPG

counted as "multiple switches everywhere", and you didn't want that

was more than a tad irrational.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back