switch off light and switch alternative light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,

was wondering if someone could answer this question for me.

I want to install a ceiling light that that (obviously) connects to a light switch. I also wanted, a LED light to come ON, when the ceiling light is switched OFF.

Is this achievable? and is this "normal"? i mean, is it something that complies with regulations? and would i need a 1 way light switch or 2 way?

the reason for this is that i would quite like an LED to come on, as a night light, in the kids room, when the main light is switched off. I know i could have a seperate switch, but hey, would be good, so i dont have to have multiple switches everywhere.

i wont be doing the work, we're having an extension (hopefully) and i am thiking ahead of all the weird and wonderful things i'd like to spec for the sparky.. :)

thank you.

Sponsored Links
This is possible to do.

Assuming you only need one switch, use a 1 gang 2 way switch. Put the live feed in COM, the main light in L1 and the LED light in L2.

You should, however, fit a switch somewhere not too obvious yet close by to turn both lights off for maintenance, lamp changing etc.

This is not very green as there would be a light on in that room 24hrs a day, even thought LED is quite efficient.
'sparkwright' has the answer.

Sponsored Links
This is possible to do.

Assuming you only need one switch, use a 1 gang 2 way switch. Put the live feed in COM, the main light in L1 and the LED light in L2.

You should, however, fit a switch somewhere not too obvious yet close by to turn both lights off for maintenance, lamp changing etc.

ah yes! doh! of course, i forgot about that. the LED would need an isolator too. hmm, food for thought. much appreciated :)

I don't follow the logic.

A normal light doesn't have an isolator - except at the CU, of course.

You shouldn't work on a light that is only 'switched off'.

It seems sensible to have a separate switch to turn both lights off in the event you don't want either light on for whatever reason.

With this 2 way switch being used in a slightly unconventional way it does seem a means of turning both lights off may be helpful to those not expecting such an arrangement. And if both lamps fail and the user isn't sure which fitting is live he can switch both off.

Nowadays I would say just about every light, security light, fan or appliance has a means of isolation (either single pole or double pole) without going to the consumer unit.

It seems sensible to have a separate switch to turn both lights off in the event you don't want either light on for whatever reason.
That's fair enough. I thought you meant it was compulsory.
With this 2 way switch being used in a slightly unconventional way it does seem a means of turning both lights off may be helpful to those not expecting such an arrangement. And if both lamps fail and the user isn't sure which fitting is live he can switch both off.
ditto.
Nowadays I would say just about every light, security light, fan or appliance has a means of isolation (either single pole or double pole) without going to the consumer unit.
Can't agree with that as far as lights are concerned.

What lights do you see normally on all the time that can only be turned off at the fuse or circuit breaker (or the big main switch)?

I prefer people to be able to turn stuff off at light switches than let them fiddle about with the fuse box.

What lights do you see normally on all the time that can only be turned off at the fuse or circuit breaker (or the big main switch)?
I said fair enough - but if that's what the OP wants.
If you have another switch to turn them both of you'd just as well have a two-gang with one for each.
I prefer people to be able to turn stuff off at light switches than let them fiddle about with the fuse box.
That's not what I meant nor thought you meant.

But I said nowadays just about every light has a nearby switch for it (sp or dp), and you said you can't agree with that. :)

But you said 'for isolation'
willy_nilly.gif

It must be different in your part of the world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back