Switch Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems trying to locate a replacement switch for our bathroom. The switch pictured does not switch for want for a better description so am trying to find a replacement. Not being an electrical person, I do not know what the type of switch it is.

The description on the inside is Scolmore SW310 31 32 B. Scolmore I have found on the web as the make but can not locate this type of switch. The fuse that is carried is a 13amp

If anyone can point me in the right direction of finding a replacement or alternative, I would be most apreciative.

Thanks
Alan

text size and colour edited - moderator 9

Sponsored Links
I have never seen one like that (I am not saying they don't exist) but you can make up a switch plate to look like that using grid switches. If you do a search for grid switches, you will get an idea. MK and a few other companies make them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Spark123
On the brown connectors within the unit there are the words 'click' so I guess we may be getting there!!

Have not dealt with PED before, but if you phone them up and tell them exactly what you are looking for then they should be able to help.
Where abouts in the bathroom is this switch?

we're going to need a better description than "does not switch"..

how so.. the switch itself is not physically moving?
it's moving but nothing is clicking?
it's moving and clicking, but the thing it controls is not working?

and stupid question, have you changed the fuse?
why a 13A?.. what is feeding this?.. what's it switching?

That switches are from the "click mini grid" range manufactured by "scolmore"

It is a type of grid switch, although it does not utilise the traditional yoke method.

The modules are screwed directly to the faceplate with one screw at the bottom right of the module, as can just about be seen in the picture above.

They should be available from most electrical wholesalers, although, it seems they are only available rated to a maximum of 10AX or 13AX, which is a bit poo.

Clicky

<edit> I missed Spark123's post :evil:

I'm pretty sure Scolmore do 20A double pole switches for the mini grid range. It looks like that's what is there. The middle one supplying the fuse unit is the double pole one by the looks of it. Good stuff the Click range and carries a 20 year guarantee so would be surprised it's failed. Essentially that is a bespoke item so you'll need to but the modules separately and fit them to the plate yourself.

Thanks for posting this and to those who replied - solved my problem too - I'd been going mad searching for this exact unit for some time now.

Background for the record and anyone else searching - Bellway subcontractors Broughton Electrical seem to have used the Click system for several switches in our new-build house.

In my case, one of the rockers has cracked away from its mountings in the module and fallen out after 2 years - I suspect a claim would be valid on the 20 year guarantee, although the module only costs £1.28 + vat, so not worth worrying about IMHO now I've found a replacement source...

The units are available in the Notts & Derby area (and further afield by post) from Alert electrical

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks for posting this and to those who replied - solved my problem too - I'd been going mad searching for this exact unit for some time now.

Background for the record and anyone else searching - Bellway subcontractors Broughton Electrical seem to have used the Click system for several switches in our new-build house.

In my case, one of the rockers has cracked away from its mountings in the module and fallen out after 2 years - I suspect a claim would be valid on the 20 year guarantee, although the module only costs £1.28 + vat, so not worth worrying about IMHO now I've found a replacement source...

The units are available in the Notts & Derby area (and further afield by post) from Alert electrical

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

I've had exactly the same problem with one of these switches and a further two get stuck from time to time.

Is the replacement part from Alertelectrical MD002PW? My switch is a simple on\off switch to the Bathroom lights. I might as well get several for when they all go faulty!

My Persimmon Homes house is 7 years old and the Contractor was also Broughton Electrical.

If you're sure that your switches are the same as those in the original post then yes, that part should be correct. If it's just single-plate switches that you've having problems with (i.e. there are no fuseholders or other unusual grid parts), it would make more sense to go down to your local DIY store and buy a complete replacement switchplate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back