Switched Fuse for Integrated Fridge and Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just checking what my electrician would be putting in to control the connection to a seperate integrated Fridge and integrated Freezer...
would a single 13amp fused switch above countertop be ok, I had thought he would put in 2, one for each appliance, but has only created space for a single, maybe the one is ok, and would it be 13 amp, or would a fridge on startup draw more?

Also got a 600w Oil Filled Radiator so should that have a 3amp switch ?

thanks
Adrian

Sponsored Links
I did find with mothers freezer that it would not defrost by being turned off inside the unit, so with that in mind I would provide a means to remove power for each individual item, but there is nothing to say it must be wired that way.

i would use a 5a fuse for the heater raher than a 3a, and as eric says two switches would be better as they are seperate units

Isolation switches are not mandatory, but I like to see them for integrated appliances. I would expect them to have separate isolation switches.
Suppose you have a fault with the fridge and need to turn it off. You do this and the freezer will defrost! You need two.

I see no need for a switch for the oil filled radiator. I assume it plugs in?
You don’t have a separate isolation switch for the kettle, or the toaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all
I see no need for a switch for the oil filled radiator. I assume it plugs in?
It is a wall mounted hard wired radiator, not one with a 3 pin plug.
so i will in my mind want a form of switch to turn off, just wondering if it should be a fused switch.

out of interest, why a 5amp fuse over a 3 amp, could a max 600w heater go over 3amp?
thnaks

Heating elements do use more power when cold than when hot, but not really that much, the 3 amp and 13 amp fuse is the preferred sizes, in the main to protect the cable, you can get 1, 2, 5, 7, 10 amp as well, but not as easy to find. Odd the fig of 8 connector is rated 2.5 amp, but near every time you find a 3 amp fuse, and the new kettle connector rated 10 amp but normally a 13 amp fuse, even seen 3 kW kettles with the 10 amp plug, and 5 amp ceiling roses with a 6 amp MCB, so in real terms some where near the rating rather than spot on, so 3 amp is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back