What amp fuse for a fridge freezer

Maybe, but I suspect it could be appreciably more complicated than that. Don't forget that what you quoted included:
Yes, I just meant in that particular case.
... in which case, as I said, I suspect the effect of varying voltage might be difficult to predict
Do you mean varying the supply voltage, or the voltage applied to the motor, determined by the control circuit. In the latter case I would guess the electronics would give the right voltage to the motor, even if the supply varies somewhat, but I make no claim to much knowledge of the subject.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I just meant in that particular case.
As I said, even that 'particular case' said that it used PWM
Do you mean varying the supply voltage, or the voltage applied to the motor, determined by the control circuit.
The latter would presumably be the more relevant.
In the latter case I would guess the electronics would give the right voltage to the motor, even if the supply varies somewhat
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the right voltage'. I was talking about the changes in current if/when that voltage varied.

If the voltage applied to the motor consisted of variable-width pulses, things would be a bit less straightforward - although if the pulses were 50 Hz ones consisting of part of the supply voltage cycle, then the RMS of those pulses would probably be a valid concept. If there were at a different (higher) frequency, then it would get a lot more complicated.

Kind Regards, John

So this got the better of me and I did the calculations for my CH pump

Grundfos 15-60 130 fitted 2011 cost £59: 220-240V [email protected] = 217V, [email protected] = 231V, [email protected] = 241V so all over the place

Images I've found for the same model number pump show 230V [email protected] = 227V, [email protected] = 222V, [email protected] = 233V so slightly closer spread figures. However other similarly numbered pumps show vastly different power ratings: 40-95W, 35-85W, 45-105 etc and a bit worrying is the 15-60 130 seems to share some of the same figures so I have to wonder exactly how people cope with replacement and getting the right version...

Last edited:
So this got the better of me and I did the calculations for my CH pump
Grundfos 15-60 130 fitted 2011 cost £59: 220-240V [email protected] = 217V, [email protected] = 231V, [email protected] = 241V so all over the place
Well, the current does go up as the voltage goes up - which I suppose would please Mr Ohm :)
...... so I have to wonder exactly how people cope with replacement and getting the right version...
It is perhaps a case of it not 'mattering' all that much? I imagine there was a day in the past when a domestic CH pump was a domestic CH pump, and that was about the only basis one had on which to make a choice (i.e. no choice!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
except:
[email protected] = 217V = 945Ω, [email protected] = 231V = 887Ω, [email protected] = 241V = 832Ω
This actually makes things 'worse' (more confusing), rather than better, but ...

[ for a start, assuming you were using R = V²/W for your calculations, with your W and V figures .I get fractionally different values of 'R' from you - 941.78Ω, 889.35Ω & 829.72Ω respectively - but those differences from yours are trivial and of no importance ]

That would, indeed, confuse Mr Ohm - or, rather, the Law named after him, since, as has been said, I don't think Mr Ohm himself talked at all about 'resistance' or knew anything of 'his equation'.

Mr Ohm would probably have become even more confused when he discovered that we were talking about something called 'alternating current' ;) You and I are familiar with that, and should understand that not only should R = V²/W become Z = V²/W when we're talking about AC (Z being impedance), but also that, even Z = V²/W is only correct when PF=1, otherwise it needs to be Z = (V²/W) x PF.

However, the tabulated data we've been shown appears to indicate that, with a motor, PF falls (a little) with increasing voltage, which means that the impedances you've calculated for 231V and 241V probably should be even more lower than the impedance at 217V than they are in your calculations.

Don't ask me :)

Kind Regards, John

This actually makes things 'worse' (more confusing), rather than better, but ...

[ for a start, assuming you were using R = V²/W for your calculations, with your W and V figures .I get fractionally different values of 'R' from you - 941.78Ω, 889.35Ω & 829.72Ω respectively - but those differences from yours are trivial and of no importance ]

That would, indeed, confuse Mr Ohm - or, rather, the Law named after him, since, as has been said, I don't think Mr Ohm himself talked at all about 'resistance' or knew anything of 'his equation'.

Mr Ohm would probably have become even more confused when he discovered that we were talking about something called 'alternating current' ;) You and I are familiar with that, and should understand that not only should R = V²/W become Z = V²/W when we're talking about AC (Z being impedance), but also that, even Z = V²/W is only correct when PF=1, otherwise it needs to be Z = (V²/W) x PF.

However, the tabulated data we've been shown appears to indicate that, with a motor, PF falls (a little) with increasing voltage, which means that the impedances you've calculated for 231V and 241V probably should be even more lower than the impedance at 217V than they are in your calculations.

Don't ask me :)

Kind Regards, John
FWIW I used V = W/I & R= W/I² and then rounded so yes there will be 'errors'.
Don't forget the figures I've been playing with are different pump speed settings, and presumably as we mentioned earlier, by using different windings, I fully expected to see different impedances purely because of the different power rating.

FWIW I used V = W/I & R= W/I² ...
OK - but if you substitute the first of those equations into the second, you get the R = V²/W that I mentioned, so (thankfully) we did the same!
and then rounded so yes there will be 'errors'.
Fair enough.
Don't forget the figures I've been playing with are different pump speed settings, and presumably as we mentioned earlier, by using different windings, I fully expected to see different impedances purely because of the different power rating.
True. However if one 'assumes' (always pretty dangerous, even more so in this situation, since it's little more than a guess) that higher voltage means higher speed then, on the basis of the figures we've been shown that would suggest that PF will fall as voltage increases, which would mean that impedance would fall even more with increasing voltage than your calculations suggested.

However, it's becoming increasingly clear that I understand far too little about motors to be able to make much sense out of all this!

Mind you, as I recently observed, in terms of how this all started, I'm quite sure that looking at the rating plate of a fridge freezer and dividing the indicated Watts by the indicated voltage will give a more-than-adequate 'estimate' of the appliance's running current, despite the five pages of (interesting) discussion that has followed :)

Kind Regards, John

Mind you, as I recently observed, in terms of how this all started, I'm quite sure that looking at the rating plate of a fridge freezer and dividing the indicated Watts by the indicated voltage will give a more-than-adequate 'estimate' of the appliance's running current,
But that applies to a free-standing motor as well. The only difference is in the latter case the rated power is shaft power, so need to also divide by eff and PF (and root 3 for 3ph), whereas for a domestic appliance it's the input watts. And of course it gives instantaneous watts, no guide to consumption over a period.

My fridge/freezer nameplate says compressor motor 120W, defrost heater 190W. Total 310W so at 230V, 1.3 amp. But they say fuse 10 amp or higher, so presumably they're expecting some inrush.

I've been trying to get my head round some Grundfos data, without much success so far!

But that applies to a free-standing motor as well.
It applies to anything, Stated ('running') power and voltage provide a very good estimate of ('running') current, for anything. As you go on to say, in the case of things like motors, the rating plates rarely, if ever, give any indication of 'start-up' power/current, despite the fact that the start-up current can be considerably greater than the running current. That's why, in post #4 back on 'page 1', I wrote...
I don't know what the start-up current for a domestic fridge-freezer is likely to be, and it probably doesn't persist for long enough to blow a 3A fuse, but it could well be considerably greater than 3A, so the OP's question seems perfectly reasonable.
I would probably be inclined to use a 10A or 13A fuse, just to be sure' - after all, one doesn't want the freezer losing power whilst one is on a Spanish beach :)
Kind Regards, John

Will both run simultaneously?
You would think not, but I don't know for sure. I don't suppose the heater has much of an inrush current, so 10 amp seems to allow for a substantial inrush on the motor. Maybe 10 amp is just to play safe (though not so safe in terms of protection).

You would think not, but I don't know for sure.
Same here, although I suppose that it's not impossible that there needs to be some flow of the refrigerant even when the heater ison.
I don't suppose the heater has much of an inrush current, so 10 amp seems to allow for a substantial inrush on the motor. Maybe 10 amp is just to play safe (though not so safe in terms of protection).
Indeed. I don't think that 1.3A for the heater (even if on simultaneously with the compressor), with no 'inrush', makes that much difference. As I said at the start, and recently re-quoted, I would probably personally use a 10A or 13A fuse, 'just to be sure'. Although I suppose you're strictly right in saying that a 10/13A fuse would be 'less safe in terms of protection' than would be a 3A one, I'm not really sure what relevant 'protection a 3A one would be providing (over and above the protection afforded by a larger fuse).

Having said that, as I implied in my very first post in this thread, I very much doubt that the start-up current of a domestic F/F compressor would last for long enough to blow a 3A fuse, even if it were 'tens of amps' for a very brief period - but, as I also said, I would probably not want to 'take the risk' (on behalf of the freezer contents!) if I were 'on a Spanish beach' ;)

Kind Regards, John

Same here, although I suppose that it's not impossible that there needs to be some flow of the refrigerant even when the heater ison.

Not from what I understand about they way they work - the heater coils are just wrapped around and amongst the freezer coils.

I'm still watching our new upright, trying to work out the logic of its function. It's obvious when it runs a defrost cycle, because I see the internal temperature rise, but what I don't quite follow is the internal fan logic....

I usually here that running, when the compressor is not running, and it seems as it nears its warmer temperatures, prior to the compressor coming on. Open the door when the fan is running, and the fan stops, restarting when the door is closed.

I'm still watching our new upright, trying to work out the logic of its function. It's obvious when it runs a defrost cycle, because I see the internal temperature rise, but what I don't quite follow is the internal fan logic.... I usually here that running, when the compressor is not running, and it seems as it nears its warmer temperatures, prior to the compressor coming on. Open the door when the fan is running, and the fan stops, restarting when the door is closed.
Are you talking about a 'frost-free' one? If so, my understanding (which may well not be correct!) is that, in at least some of them, all of the 'cooling' actually happens outsdie of the cavity of the appliance (hence 'frost' arises primarily on ezternal coils, and that the fan is then used to blow cold air (over those tubes into the cavity. With such a system, the fan only runs when the door is closed (but probably not continuously) - the fan then certainly stops when one opens the door (and re-starts when one closes it), presumable to avoid all the cooled air being 'blow out' of the cavity through the door.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back