Switched fused spur replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an unused fused spur in my lounge that was put there for connecting power to a gas fire, which I didn't spec so it is sitting doing nothing.

What I want to do is simply replace the single fused spur with a single socket, I expect its just as simple as removing the front and swapping out the spur for the socket.

Just not sure if its safe or recommended to do so, its just the same cable in there isn't it?

Sponsored Links
there should be no reason why you can't do just as you say.

Verify that it is on the downstairs socket circuit (most likely a ring) by testing that it is live, then turning off the MCB, then testing that it is dead.

If you find anything odd behind the FCU, post a pic.

50p says that like the other 99.997% of householders he hasn't got an EFLI tester.

How many of them are inhibited from fitting sockets?

Especially if he verifies that it is on the socket circuit (as it almost certainly will be)

Sponsored Links
OK, I have a flat head screw driver :D

No electrical tools to check anything out, oh i do have a pipe finder :rolleyes: its not always reliable though.

The house was built in 2004 by Wimpey, not sure if that makes it obvious to the pros what it will be but, I have no idea about disconnect times and so on, any way to check without getting all technical?

good.

Test that it goes dead when you turn off the MCB marked "downstairs sockets," and also if you press the "Test" button on the RCD (the RCD should be tested quarterly, or, better, monthly. If not regularly tested it may jam.

A neon screwdiver WILL NOT DO to test

but a £10 multimeter will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back