SWITCHED LIVE IN BOILER?????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELLO.
THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT THIS SO LETS HOPE IT GOES OK.
I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY CENTRAL HEATING PUMP RUNNING CONTINUOUSLY, ALL THE TIME THE CENTRAL HEATING IS SWITCHED ON AT THE TIMER.
IT KEEPS RUNNING EVEN IF THE BOILER IS NOT RUNNING. I KNOW YOU HAVE A RUN ON ON MY BOILER FOR THE PUMP, BUT IT WILL STILL BE PUMPING 10, 15, 20 MINUTES AFTER THE BOILER HAS SWITCHED OFF.
WHAT I CANT WORK OUT IS, DOES THE BOILER GET A SIGNAL FROM THE ROOM THERMOSTAT TO SAY THE ROOM IS AT THE CORRECT TEMP. AND THEN SWITCHES THE BOILER OFF, WHICH SHOULD THEN ALSO SWITCH THE PUMP OFF (AFTER THE PUMP RUN ON TIME HAS ELAPSED).
IS THIS CONTROL BY THE 'SWITCHED LIVE' TERMINAL IN THE BOILER AS THIS SEEMS TO BE LIVE ALL THE TIME?
HOPEFULLY, ONE OF YOU KIND PEOPLE CAN PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY AND EXPLAIN WHAT THE 'SWITCHED LIVE' IN A BOILER DOES.
MANY THANKS,
GARY

Sponsored Links
Please stop shouting (turn capslock off)
What make of boiler is it first?
This will tell us if it has a pump overrun built in with the boiler thermistor or PCB.
All the overrun does is when the boiler switches off power from the switched live it has a relay built in to keep power on to the internal pump (or wired out to external depending on boiler and set up) for a set time to allow the heat exchanger to cool down.
So give us boiler model first ta!!

Sponsored Links
If the s/l terminal is live all the time you need to check your zone valve/s.

Sounds like the microswitch has stuck on it it.

Room stat tells the valve to open, valve tells the boiler to fire.

Pump over run should be approx 6 mins on this boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back