Switched socket outlet or FCU for F/F W/M etc. ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this subject has been covered before but i wonder what are the thoughts of the current diynot sparks?
Do you prefer to use a switched socket outlet or an FCU for supplying F/F, W/M, W/D or D/W etc, under a W/T or in a tall cupboard?

Sponsored Links
Sockets are very convenient for appliances so you can unplug and move them easily for cleaning, maintenance or replacement.

If the socket is behind the appliance, it is not readily accessible, so you need a switch that you can get at. Above the worktop is a convenient place to put it.

13A plugs are most familar to everyone in the UK.

The ideal number of fuses per appliance is one

Given all this, my preference is for a dedicated, single, unswitched 13A socket for each appliance, with a DP switch above the worktop.

johnd thanks. So you are saying unswitched 13A outlets below the w/t and 20A,DP switched outlets above the w/t?
Where and when would you use FCU's ?
Is an unswitched FCU considered an local isolator?

Sponsored Links
an unswitched FCU is SP only, appliance MIs these days require DP isolation.

you would use an FCU for a permanently fixed item such as an extractor with no plug

It also needs a small screwdriver to take out the fuse. Doing this under load is undesirable as there will be arcing. It is also unsuitable for emergency isolation as it requires the correct tool.

Why do you ask?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back