Heater in W/C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am currently refurbishing the downstairs W/C and up until now there hasn't been any heating in there and it can get a bit nippy in the winter. So I want to put a small electric panel heater in like this one:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXEVX050.html

What I need advice on is where to put the isolator switch for it. I would power the heater via a flush mounted flex outlet but I don't know whether to make this a switched flex outlet or an unswitched one and have an isolator switch elswhere bearing in mind that the flex outlet will be about 1 foot above the floor. If I am to have a seperate isolator switch would I be ok putting it in the same room but higher up or would I be better putting it elsewhere completely. I could locate it in the airing cupboard upstairs which is in the bathroom directly above the W/C which has all the wiring for the central heating.

Just one other thing, with regard to regulations, does a W/C come under the same rules as a bathroom or not.

Many thanks for any help

Russell

Sponsored Links
Any room that contains a bath or shower is effectively a bathroom. It does not have to contain a toilet or basin!

Edit--

If this room is not then a bathroom then you can put the isolator where you like, use your common sense as to it's location though

you might consider a ceiling-mounted pull-cord switch, as used for electric showers. MK do a 20A one but it is not widely stocked.

You could use a 45A one, flush-mounted for neatness...

Sponsored Links
That will look nice SS, a nice big red swich on the wall next to his 750W panel heater. Where is the fusing down to protect the heater from overload, as a small panel heater its going to be needing a 3 or 5 Amp fuse to protect it. I would put a flex outlet for the heater and then mount the switch outside the toilet in the hall or somewhere nearby, not upstairs as it needs to have Local isolation, not look under all the clothes piled in the airing cupboard isolation.

Nick

Many thanks for the advice everybody,

Putting the isolator outside in the hall is not really an option due to the fact that we only finished decorating the hall last year.

So I think I will do one of the following:

1. use a fused, switched flex outlet next to the panel heater. This will be just over half a metre from the basin & toilet.

OR 2. put a fused flex outlet next to the heater and put the isolator switch higher up on the same wall nearer the ceiling.

What do you reckon to that and would you recommend fusing the flex outlet or the isolator switch.

Regards

Russell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back