Kitchen FCU v 20 Amp DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been explained before… but I can’t for the life of me search properly on this site! Using AND as described just makes it a part of the search results javascript:emoticon(':confused:') Confused

I want some advice before getting a pro in.

Kitchen
I have 3 double switches (above the worktop) and a number below (not sure if they are on the main circuit or just spurs of the 3 doubles).

I have read that you can:
Have as many spurs as sockets. The spurs can be connected direct to the main circuit or off the existing sockets. In my case 3 spurs (excluding those under the worktop).
Have as many FCU as you want (within reason) and connected them direct to the main circuit.

Question 1
How many 20Amp DP switches can you have, in my current configuration would it be 3 (excluding those under the worktop), because they need to be off spurs ? or

Question 2
Can a 20 Amp DP be wired directly to the main circuit (like an FCU) with a spur to an un-switched socket below the w/top to feed an appliance?

Last Question
I want to have easy access to switch off the appliances. There will be 6 appliances but I don’t really want 6 switches FCU/DP on show. Appliances are:
D/Washer
W/Machine
F/F
Hood
Hob ignition
Under Unit Lights.
(The under worktop sockets will not be in the right place and are excluded for the purpose of the below questions)

Could I do the following to reduce the number of FCU?:
For the Heavy power users:
FCU for DW
FCU for WM
FCU for FF

Not so heavy power users:
One FCU for Hood, Hob Ignition & Lights?

Or do I have the option to:
Heavy power users
20 Amp DP for DW
20 Amp DP for WM
20 Amp DP for FF

Not so heavy power users
One 20 Amp DP for Hood, Hob Ignition & Lights?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Crafty1289

I did think of using the Grid system, but I still want to know the answers to the below.

I'm still interested if anybody can answer...

Question 1
How many 20Amp DP switches can you have, in my current configuration would it be 3 (excluding those under the worktop), because they need to be off spurs ? or

Question 2
Can a 20 Amp DP be wired directly to the main circuit (like an FCU) with a spur to an un-switched socket below the w/top to feed an appliance?

Are you planning this as preperation for a new circuit being installed, or to add onto an existing circuit?

If it is a new circuit then you can have as many 20A DP switches as you like (or sockets or FCU's for that matter)

If it is an existing circuit then it depends if it is a ring or a load of spurs.

A 20A DP switch is fine to be wired direct to the ring.
It should be connected with both legs of the ring into the supply terminals, and the cable to the single socket wired to the load terminals.

Sponsored Links
As RF said, you can have as many DP 20A switches as you want, just wire them on the ring main, trying not to put too much load on one part of the ring.

Be wary of using the gridswitch system. The regs state a distance of 2 metres maximum from the switch to the appliance, so maybe have 2 or 3 grid plates. they are available in many sizes, up to 24 i think, so theres plenty of choice with them. I would stick to the single-row ones, simply because if you have a single row of sockets along the worktop, you dont want to be spoiling it by putting double-height accessories in. But thats me being picky.

I see a few new houses (from major builders) where they have used gridswitch to put a "control centre" in the corner of the kitchen with about 8 switches, but they are too far from the appliances! Dont know how they get away with it.

They shouldn't.

Unless, of course, with today's modern houses having kitchens smaller than a square of kitchen roll.........

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

As the fridge is on one side and the WM will be on the other... I may just bight the bullet and have a 20 AMP DP wired to the ring just above the appliances.

The DP's will be evenly spread across the circuit. I may also settle for 2 DP for the 'lesser' appliances

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back