Switching electric current

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a little working out to finish off.
I have two Genny's both 240v, one runs a 63A consumer unit, the other one an 80A consumer unit.

I want to be able to run one single output 3 core wire, with two separate 3 core wires coming into this one outlet.
I want one single 3 core wire attached to both consumer units, where the MCB's on both consumer units are kill switches for current, if possible.
So, one only at a time RCD/MCB will be switched on manually.
Do i need to install a separate fail-safe for switching power from one consumer unit to the other, or is it safe to simply just use the MCB on/off switch on each consumer box to control which consumer box is pumping out the current to the final wire and appliance at the other end?

Sponsored Links
Do i need to install a separate fail-safe for switching power from one consumer unit to the other
Yes you do need a separate change over switch.

Preferably a three position switch where the middle position is OFF where the "final wire" is not connected to either of the consumer units.

Your generators must never be connected at the same time as the grid supply, of course, and you must have a changeover switch that makes it impossible.

Yes you do need a separate change over switch.

Preferably a three position switch where the middle position is OFF where the "final wire" is not connected to either of the consumer units.
Drat, but thanks for this, was trying to give myself less work.

I had a feeling a switch would be needed and basically a must for safety.
The same type of switching done when installing a Genny into a house consumer unit basically.

I am only working with wiring after the consumer units, not before, so not 24mm²+
On this one off, using and splicing into 6mm²
I only need a simple manual switch, nothing high-tech or digital, and have this one which i'll use. 80A.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your generators must never be connected at the same time as the grid supply, of course, and you must have a changeover switch that makes it impossible.
both are nothing to do with grid supply, only for my garages to give me power tools and lights. All seperate from the house and grid. Both power different things, and both are independent for each garage, but i was hoping to have a single feed from both consumer boxes to power one single unit the other end, and as long as both MCB's's on each unit were not on together, it would be safe to do this, without a chnageover switch, but after asking here i realise it is daft and dangerous to do this, so will install the changeover switch. A lot of work for one 6mm² copper wire, unless i can use something smaller to do the same switch over.

Dead Board switching.

Or a very expensive static switch/means to sync.

Nozzle

Is it just me that had to read through the thread three times before I worked out what was being asked :unsure:

Is it just me that had to read through the thread three times before I worked out what was being asked :unsure:
Adam,
oops, sorry for this and all others, i am not an electrician and am asking and using others along the way to help me this end. I suffered a RTA years back with a brain and body injury and may ask the obvious or weird ways of doing what is the norm to others, but i mostly get there with help. So, yes this is probably very confusing, but i am reading that people like yourself have understood what I am trying to ask and do.
My carer does not know anything this end about electrics, so is also no help in any of this, and she cannot even wire a house plug.

last part when i do these things is I pay a qualified tradesperson in to come in and write it up as safe. Some basic plumbing, drainage, joinery, woodwork, stone and masonary, chimney repairs and roofing. The house and outbuildings are over 300 years old now, so slowly renovating some bits back to former glory, but with modern stuff, including modern tools, apart from i now have gone back to old school for free hot water, heating and cooking/baking, via log-burner and aga and live on top of a mountain range, so no pesky councils to stop me, or spying on me heating myself in my own home!!!
If i could be off the grid with the house, i would be in an instant, but not in my interests as i have certain gadgets that monitor me around the home and outside. so i mainly live in the outbuildings and sleep in the house at night times.

I have two consumer units doing two seperate things, but wanted to run one output that can be powered from either consumer unit in each garage, without me having to wire twice for the one thing, where the wires could meet, then go to the end point, instead of two seperate lengths of wire running from each consumer unit.

I have finished this thread and thanks all. I ended up running the extra grey cables from each consumer box. I was trying to save money as these 16mm reels are over £100 each. I said 10mm in the start of the post, but it is actually 16mm cable, so also the amount of feeding and clipping of this wire is hard and time consuming.

I was wanting two sockets and flood lights from each unit, and why i wanted to splice into one cable to feed both, so did it this way of using more cabling, but all good.
I used 10mm and 16mm for sockets for a simple reason. I will never have to upgrade or change the cabling in a lifetime to take heavier loads in either garage and can also install direct connection appliances if needed.

Also, i did not mean to annoy anyone in here, but i see this has, so just remember in life, some of us in life, like myself, have serious problems to contend with on top of trying to do what you all do without thinking. In other words don't be so ready to attack and deride others who ask for basic help. My carer read over this post and she is not happy with a couple of responses from you in here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back