Switching sound from consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a MK sentry unit approx 15 years old. Occasionally I hear a sound like a mcb tripping but none has. The sound is a single switching noise as you would hear if you switched off a mcb or the rcd.
There's no buzzing or other sounds. No obvious faults, no overheating. No signs of arcing or burning. The frequency would be about once every couple of days.
I've isolated circuits leaving all but one off but can't pin it down.
It tends to happen if a couple of appliances are on such as the gas heating pump & a dehumidifier on different circuits but any combination of applicants is way below the circuit load.
I've had an electrician out to check it and he couldn't find a fault.
Could a mcb be partially tripping but not enough to switch off?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the replies. There's no contactor in the unit, the house is small & detached. It's on an outside wall.

No solar panels fitted thanks.

It just seems a mystery. It's exactly the same noise as a breaker tripping or a light switch going on or off.

I've ruled out as much environmental things I can think of. There's nothing unusual in the attic above it. I've checked all electrical sockets & light fitting in the house.

I guess the next step could be swapping out the breakers.

Could it be a time clock switching over, maybe for an off-peak supply?

Pictures may help.

IMG_9625.JPG
IMG_9625.JPG
IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_9622.JPG
IMG_9623.JPG
IMG_9624.JPG
IMG_9625.JPG
Thanks for the replies. Pics below. I haven't done anything in the unit apart from checking the connections are ok. There's just one double light switch near it which operates two outside lights. I've isolated them and their circuits to rule them out. There's magnetic clips on the door the box is in & I've left the doors wide open to make sure it's not the sound of them closing.

IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_9622.JPG
IMG_9623.JPG
IMG_9624.JPG

I see the wood round it and suspect expansion/contraction.

It will be slightly warmer when you are drawing heavier loads such as drier, washer, cooker.

If the timber trim can be unscrewed and lifted off, see if that makes a difference.

Very neat job BTW.

If you put your finger to the plastic casings of the breakers you will see if any are particularly warm (this need not be a problem, unless there is a loose connection)

Occasionally you get movement due to magnetic effects when a heavy load is turned on and off, but this would be unusual in an ordinary house.

Arc lights - sadly not as ambitions LOL! The previous owner was enthusiastic with descriptions. It's just tubes up there but I'm getting ideas now!

I guess the next step could be swapping out the breakers.

Them breakers are now obsolete so unlikely to get new ones. sometimes they make a noise when on the verge of tripping, though If its happened several times i am sure it would have tripped at least once by now

Is it just me or is the CU configured wrong, its a split load board with a single Rcd main switch

Thanks Folks. I think the wood expanding & contracting maybe the answer. It happens more frequently in winter but perhaps just a couple of times a day.

I'd thought of the heating pipes, radiators, the PVC door expanding/contracting & the plastic guttering outside.

I'll remove the box as JohnD suggests & see how it goes.

Thanks !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back