switchmaster blue valve thingy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm new here - hi everyone.

We've got a problem with our blue switchmaster valve box - its clicking but the white button thing isnt moving.... we've managed to get it onto "central heating" but we've got no hot water - afraid to turn it manually round to "central heating and hot water" incase something breaks and we end up without any heating either!

I did a google and found this site. A previous thread thats over a year old covers a similar problem. However because its dated I thought I'd seek some up-to-date advice

The blue box is leaking, so is obviously kn*ckered. As it appears to be obsolete, what is the best thing to replace it with, that preferably will fit straight on to the existing set up?

Cheers
Mazza

Sponsored Links
They are obsolete because they were useless.

There isnt one that will fit straight on but the pipes should be in the right place if you are in luck with space around the old valve.

The only thing then is to rewire the system to accept the new 3 port valve as the switch master had 6 wires and the new ones only have 4 if plastic head or 5 including the earth like the honeywell.

Get someone in!

Hi

Dont suppose you could recommend a make that will fit without too much bother? The one we've got seems to have 3 wires not 6 :confused:

Cheers

You don't have a thermostat on the wall which turns anti clockwise for hw and clockwise for ch temps do you?

Sponsored Links
mazzab said:
Hi

Dont suppose you could recommend a make that will fit without too much bother? The one we've got seems to have 3 wires not 6 :confused:

Cheers

no they are all bother as you have to change the pipework for a new one to fit

good luck

Right....

Hubby got a replacement valve yesterday, spent most of the evening putting it in... pipework was no problem, got that done ok.

Electrics were another matter..... 6 wires (sorry, didnt realise till he removed the old one that there were 6 not 3) in the old one, 5 (I think) in the new one. He cant get the wiring right.

We've got the heating working but still no hot water :(

He's had several goes, will be having another go shortly... any tips/advice I can pass on??

Also for some odd reason our radiators seem hotter than usual and the boiler is quieter :eek:

Cheers

Yes and I bet hes not even close:

switchmaster to new:
white to grey
blue to blue
orange and red together to orange
yellow (brown poss) to white

Cheers olski, just printing that off to take up for him...:D

Will report on the outcome....

Ollski,

You have only listed 5 colours for Switchmaster to 4 new.... there were 6 on the switchmaster and 5 on the new. :confused:

Apparently though, there are lots of wires there, not just for the valve thing... some wires seem to go up into the attic, etc etc, its a bit of a minefield!!

(Wish he'd get a sparky in to do it, but if I mention it, he'll start getting cross.... :eek: )

Yes there is earth to earth as well but seemed a bit obvious to write. If he has already taken all the wires out of the original then it will be a task indeed even for a heating engineer....replace them one at a time when you know where they go :idea:

Extra one earth???

Go easy - rewiring can be a bit slow. When you have to work out where wires come from, and get them the right length, and wonder about the ones you don't think you need, a couple of hours can slip by quite easily ;)

Hmmmm well we're not sure but it seems that when we turn up the thermostat on the hot water tank, it controls the temperature of the radiators - is that possible :confused:

Hot water tank seems to be hot but water in the hot taps is cold....

Methinks it could be quite some time before I get my hot water back :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back