System Boiler Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning for a 250 Litre unvented system (megaflow most likely) and a system boiler (Worcester most likely) to go with this. I'm struggling to obtain hard stats on how I should size my boiler and was wondering if you can help.
I will have 14 radiators in total. It's a 4 bedroom house and some of these radiators are on the larger side. I could provide the BTU's if that is required.

I'm interested in your thoughts and also any comments you have on the brands I have selected.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need to calculate the heat loss of the house. Then add 2 kW for the hot water.

As a further check calculate the heat output of all your rads together.

Heat is measured in kW nowadays!

"four bedroom house" tells me very little!

But if a detached built about 1980 probably about 18 kW boiler would be required.

Tony

You need a gas reg engineer to fit the boiler and someone with the G3 qualification to fit the unvented.

Normally they would be able to do the calculations for boiler size and cylinder size.

But of course if they are the cheapest of the cheap they may not be familiar with the niceties of heating installation.

Tony

Use the Baxi Whole House Boiler Size Calculator. It's not brand specific.

The number and size of rads are only relevant if they are not large enough. As most houses have larger rads than necessary, this should not cause a problem.

Although HW cylinders now expect around 20KW so they heat up quickly, there is no real need to add this to the central heating requirement, provided the HW cylinders are reheated at the appropriate time, e.g. overnight or in the middle of the day - not first thing in the morning when the central heating is working hard to bring the house back up to temperature.

Sponsored Links
It is normal to time the cylinder reheat to start about 20-30 min before the morning heating period so that its fully heated for the morning by the time heating is needed.

And a later reheat time from 1700 hrs ideally continued all evening so that the hot water useage is topped up.

Tony

What does that symbol mean Dan?

Is it that Worcester boilers are shit ?

2kw's hot water requirement????

Guess it might be better to install a direct cylinder running off a 3kw immersion...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

2kw's hot water requirement????

Guess it might be better to install a direct cylinder running off a 3kw immersion...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You are making the mistake of assuming the boiler is always running flat out for the CH, so there is nothing left for the HW. This will only be true when the house is being heated up from cold. Once that has happened the boiler is idle most of the time and only comes on when the room stat has dropped a degree or so. It doesn't then need the full output of the boiler to raise the temperature one degree; it only needs about 5% of its output. This leaves plenty spare to reheat the cylinder.

Setting the timer so the cylinder reheats overnight and in the middle of the day obviates the need to allow any extra for heating the cylinder.

Let's assume coil rating 24kw.
Building heat loss 8kw.
......what size boiler would you propose?????

Hey DH .......you explain your above post to my wife as we have a family of 6 all wanting showers/baths between the times of 6-9pm on a cold winter night.......she also likes to dry clothes on the radiators .....get in the real world.

PS..I don't make mistakes when it involves system design.

Last edited:
Not many UK four bed houses would be only 8 kW.

But he has not told us how many live there or why he chose a 250 li cylinder.

Tony

Not many UK four bed houses would be only 8 kW.

But he has not told us how many live there or why he chose a 250 li cylinder.

Tony
Then don't assume 2kw for HW rating when you clearly have no idea regarding occupancy/usage.

I am not assuming but following the EST best practice instruction. Didn't you go on the energy efficiency course too?

Tony

Didn't you go on the energy efficiency course too?

Tony
Yes....and what a load of shyte it was too......
So 2kw for hot water rating then Tony?....oh dear.

..but then you had no "proper" training as you came into this industry late in life.....city and guilds? apprenticeship?

No I didn't think so...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back