T&G cladding a room what order of install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am finally finishing off the summerhouse and the last bit to do is the internal walls.
These are being clad with horizontal T&G.
The room is 2.8m x 2.5m with the longest walls being the back wall and front (75% windows and doors)
I was intending to start with the back wall but wondered if I should do the whole back wall (top to bottom) then do each side?
Or do one row at a time (back and two sides)

Does it make any difference?
Which is better?
or easier?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
general comments

assuming its ex 1/2"x 4"its finnished size and coverage is 7.5mm 88mm so will need good support along its length perhaps 16-20" with added support behind if anything at all is to be added to the surface

what size cladding are you using ??

general comments

assuming its ex 1/2"x 4"its finnished size and coverage is 7.5mm 88mm so will need good support along its length perhaps 16-20" with added support behind if anything at all is to be added to the surface

what size cladding are you using ??
big-all
the T&G is 19 x 100mm. it is going to be secret nailed to the vertical wall joists (4x2) which are about 50cm apart.
There probably wont be much added to the surface , but if there is I will try yo make it on the joists

Sponsored Links
dont forget they are thinner and about 88mm coverage after machining but will be solid enough so you need 14% more than you think

dont forget they are thinner and about 88mm coverage after machining but will be solid enough so you need 14% more than you think
Sadly That helpful info came too late.
After spending another £160 so that there would be no joins at all anywhere I realised I had based my measurements on the finished size not the face size !! DOH
Anyway due to budgets and timescale I have accepted I need to have some joins on the side walls ( back is already finished and front only has two planks worth of a full run)
So this leads to my next (and surely last) quandary.
The side walls are 227cm long.
I need 26 planks each side.
I have a total of 32 full size planks.

So my theory was to lay 2 full planks then 1 "joined plank" 2 more full planks and so on.

My only concern was would it look better to have a join on every plank run?
I feel that, for the amount of work and wastage its not really worth it , but wonder if it would look a bit strange?

When joining the boards is it better to do a straight edge cut on both boards or cut at 45 deg and but them up?

Many thanks as ever

you need to plan
iff all stud centres are identical then it wont make much difference material wise
iff you have a few odd ones[studs and planks ] then you may manage say 2 or 3 short from a plank
you may find an odd stud introduces in-between 2 structural at up to 2 points to use maximum material and may involve 3 bits along the run just make sure you aim for at least 1 solid plank above and below every joint hopeful 2 or more to stop the eye being drawn
joints below the waist and above the shoulder will be less obvious

you need to plan
iff all stud centres are identical then it wont make much difference material wise
iff you have a few odd ones[studs and planks ] then you may manage say 2 or 3 short from a plank
you may find an odd stud introduces in-between 2 structural at up to 2 points to use maximum material and may involve 3 bits along the run just make sure you aim for at least 1 solid plank above and below every joint hopeful 2 or more to stop the eye being drawn
joints below the waist and above the shoulder will be less obvious
Thanks
I have enough planks that if I use a join, there will only be one join per run ( annoyingly the wall is 2270 and the "whole" planks are 4200, I have 32 planks of 1930 and at least 30 of 1200. So there is no problem with using 2 smaller planks even accounting for stud ( 550 apart from memory)
I should be able to have 2 solid planks between each joined planks and should be able to space them so that the joins are middle (2 solid planks) left join( 2 solid planks)right join, and so on.
One thing that I realised is that there wouldnt be any more waste if I were to cut a join on each plank, as all I would lose on that plank is the thickness of the blade. Just lots more hassle!
What do you think?

if it going to be a pattern it may not look right if it doesn't appear random if you have lots the same joining on say 2 joists 3 ft appart it will look better all in a strait line with a thin say 6mm thick 15mm wide trim over the join
try doing a drawing and see what you think or wait for others to comment

Thanks for the reply.
I only have 3 joists to work on, So I did end up going on a set pattern. I did 2 full boards then a middle joist join, 2 full boards then the left, 2 full, then the right. It actually looks pretty good, would have finished it but my nail gun has decided to die!!!
Thanks for all your help.
Off to try and source a nail gun now!

ok glad to help thanks for getting back to let us know it makes it all worth it

as an aside
i have been making pine furniture for over 30 years and all the sides and doors have 2x1planed pine to make up frames with a rebate to take was 9mm txg cladding now 7.5mm as infill panels for the country look have made many hundreds ---now it could be your turn :)

sadly not man enough for my requirements.
I had the 15g ryobi airstrike which was pretty good.
I like the 15g size and I dont think I can justify the price of the new de walt 15g

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back