T+G Secret Nailing - Length of Nails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to hire a nailer to fix some 20mm maple onto the subfloor of original 20mm floorboards. There seem to be 2 lengths of nail available - 38mm and 50mm.

If these things fire in at 45 degree angle at the top of the tongue, are the 50mm nails going to protrude through the subfloor in any way? I don't want to risk that any pipes or cables will be sitting close to the bottom of the board, but obviously i want the max holding power possible.

So, 38mm or 50mm???

Sponsored Links
If the top of the tongue was half way up the new 20mm board then at 45 degrees, it would take about 14mm to reach the board underneath.

So if you use 38mm nails they would go about 24mm into the original boards. At 45 degrees it takes about 28mm to go right through so with 38mm nails you would be fine. If you used 50mm nails they would stick out on the underside.

45 degrees would make the wood about 37percent thicker
if we assume the top off the tounge is 7mm down that leaves 33mm plus 40% =45mm
are you sure the origional is 20mm at 24mm you would be ok

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back