Tackling header install today, question on jack studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps

Today i'm taking out a section of supporting stud wall (made of 6x2's). It's supporting the ceiling joists only but that's not really relevant.

The current archway opening is approx 900mm and doesn't have a header at all. I'm widening it to 1.9m with 3-8x2 coachbolted at staggered 400mm cc.

My question is how to finish off the jack stud at either side as it meets the wall below. Obviously the existing studs meet the sole plate which rests on the floor joists. On one side i'm not changing anything at all so the options are more limited. On the other side i'm taking out 2 studs and cutting back the sole plate. So:

1) Do I take the new jack stud all the way down to the wall below (the cut END of the jack rests on the wall below) plus add a noggin to support the flappy end of sole plate
2) Do I keep a section of sole plate, take the jack down to the sole plate,and then add a noggin under the sole plate where it has been cut to support the flappy end left. I can't do this on the other side though.
3) Do I use a piece of wood laid flat on the wall below like a padstone, and take the jack down to that?
4) Is it completely irrelevant?

Left to my own devices I'd probably go for 1) as it's the easiest. Ill also be coach screwing the new jack to the existing stud on both sides.

I've tried illustrate the existing layout and option 1 in my best primary school artwork:
Existing - https://ibb.co/dHSjKn
Proposed - https://ibb.co/iLzWzn

Thanks muchly

Aaron

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back