Tails wont screw into ONE side of rad tube?

S

snadge

we got a wall mounted rad from B&Q for £135... ive chisled tracks into wall and plumbed it all in only to find the tail valves wont screw all the way in ONE side of the rad? - both valves go in one side top and bottom but both wont go in the other side top or bottom - so, we took the rad back and the next one (last one in store) is exactly the same?? but opposite side... its as if the factory where they are made has 2 or more machines churning out these tubes and one of the machine is set wrong - hence both tails will go in ONE at both ends but not the OTHER at both ends - cant be the tail valves if theyre going in one side - funny thing is the tube thread is about 1/3rd inch and the tail valves are about 1 inch - they go in 3/4 of the way before stopping - so they are clearing the whole thread on the tube but after so far it stops and theres nothing inside blocking it either?

we are at a loss, all plumbed in and im gunna have to rip it out and start again for a totally different rad

can anyone explain why this is happening? - the thing that confuses me is if it was the tubes the wouldnt clear the entire thread before stop screwing in and if it were the tail valves then they wouldnt go in ANY hole all the way...

wierd

Sponsored Links
Other than typical cheap B&Q foreign stuff (guessing) I haven't a clue.

Never had it on any rads I've used.

All tappings should be standard 1/2".

take it back and demand a replacement its not fit for purpose

and invoice them for the time to remove and refit it :LOL:

didn't get it from that shed near the Redheugh Bridge by any chance :LOL: :LOL:

If the fitting is entering for the full depth of the thread in the hole, then that's what it's supposed to do. Tapered threads seal on the thread, not on the face of the fitting.

The problem is usually the opposite one. The thread in the rad. is often cut oversize, and needs a generous amount of packing before it will seal without the tail 'bottoming out' in the tapped hole.

Sponsored Links
ive packed it out with tape and have them both sticking out by 4/5mm, sealed.
- and yes it was one next to the bridge :LOL:

plus we took one back the same and one we got as replacement was the last one and open and obviously a return aswell , the replacement had same problem - now i have it working ive noticed something else - the two main pipes/tubes are 3 mm off at top than bottom and the right side of the pipes going into the right tube seem to have been bent slightly to fit probably because of this 'run off' by 3mm - she isnt happy that we paid over £130 to get this done and its had to be "bodged"- she is sleeping (nightshift) but when she gets up and sees it up and running on the new pipework and i point out the discrepenices i think she might still want to take it back and get a floor mounted one (all that hard work chiselling and plumbimg up in the wall and money spent on chrome and copper pipe for nothing...)

this is it
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...did=10648098&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=413482689

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back