Talk to me about screwdrivers - Torx T20 ...kit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a torx t20 screwdriver to remove the pump cover on my bosch dishwasher...(not urgent - just know I should get one...)

I have also discovered that although I can remove the inside glass on my (also bosch) oven door for easy cleaning I will need a 'special' screwdriver -think it is also a torx (star shape) but no idea what size..will be about size 20 I think ..

I have standard phillips/flat screwdrivers and was going to buy just one torx screwdriver - but looking I can see lots of different kits/mulit tools for about the same price -
Seeing as quality isn't a big issue (don't intend to use it daily!) - for general DIY (inc repairing household appliances...) what are the most useful shaped/sized bits to have? Is it worth getting one of the kits with U shapes etc????

Sponsored Links
Laser tools do a 5 pack Torx bit screwdriver set, and they are fine for general use. Usually the sizes go up in '5's but some appliances use a TX27 for example.....but a TX25 allows you to get away with it.
Personally I don't think you'll need the security bit pack you refer to.
John :)

Go to your nearest tool shop and ask for a set of security screwdrivers.

Oh no - two opposing views...but have found out the lots of bits are called security sets :)

Has anyone ever thought - 'damn it - if only I had one of those weird shaped screwdriver bits....????'

Sponsored Links
Regarding the security bit sets....sure they'll work but you need a driver to turn them, and most you won't use anyway. However, a tamperproof torx (small peg in the middle of the screwhead) will fit an ordinary torx screw anyway so the choice is yours!
Motor factors will likely stock both types - Laser are good value tools but naturally not the best. Good enough for taking a washing machine to bits anyday!
John :)

Both plain and tamper-proof bits will fit a plain torx screw head. The plain bits are solid, and therefore a bit more robust.

Screwdrivers with interchangable bits, along with matching torx bits are even available in some pound shops. By no means the best quality, but usually good enough for a one - off job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back