Tap & Die Set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As birthday & Xmas on its way, people start to ask what I would like.

As a DIYer, who has slowly replaced a lot of tools now, i was thinking of maybe a cheap tap & die set for very occasional use

Any suggestions - I have seen some sealey kits on amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK3...1M4JUTDJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

not sure how good they would be. Also not sure what I may need in future , just might be a useful addition to the tool set

Otherwise I will have to keep thinking of useful accessories

Sponsored Links
I bought the same set, a few years ago - they are/were absolutely fine. Three different taps types, for each size - plug, second and taper.

Sponsored Links
Not desiring to be a wet blanket, but carbon steel taps and dies are a recipe for disappointment......they'll pack in at the first sight of decent material but they will do the odd bit of aluminium or brass.
I go for Presto stuff - seriously good kit where things mustn't fail.
John :)

Not desiring to be a wet blanket, but carbon steel taps and dies are a recipe for disappointment......they'll pack in at the first sight of decent material but they will do the odd bit of aluminium or brass.
I go for Presto stuff - seriously good kit where things mustn't fail.

For work use I agree, but for the occasional use DIY I found them to be very good quality indistinguishable from Presto. I'm not convinced they are just carbon steel, they have worked fine on everything I have tried them with, even on my lathe.

Hmmm, I have to say I agree with John here, the cheap carbon steel ones are disappointing in my experience.

I must say I'm not particular with that particular set, but carbon steel is just not suitable for thread cutting (or any metal cutting for that matter.)
Gift wise the set would probably be ok but personally I'd buy the common sizes (5,6,8 and 10mm) and they would be HSS split circular dies....more often than not you don't need a second tap, a taper and plug usually do just fine.
Lets say you are extending the thread on a shouldered bolt....use a carbon steel die and observe the torn thread afterwards :eek:

Last edited:
An interesting description....claiming to be HSS etc! Who knows but I bet they aren't the genuine article.
Those dies aren't split - yet the die holder (stock) is designed to accommodate split dies......hence the middle screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back