Tap Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a problem with my kitchen mixer tap. The control for the cold side no longer grips as the inner thread is worn so I can't turn the tap on.

I need to know if I will have to buy a whole new unit or if it is possible to buy just the removable cover which is all I really need. (see pic).

tap.jpg

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
OK cheers. I can probably find out the make but otherwise are there any places I could go with the part to try and get a replacement, or would this be a mail order thing?

Prsumably this is a quarter-turn tap rather than one which goes on round - which would have made things easier ?

Sponsored Links
hmm, quarter turn i do believe. I'll swap the hot one over to make sure that it's definately the trouble

Spares for this tap are available, however in my opinion I'd throw it away and get a new one.

If I'm right the inner cartridge is plastic (instead of brass). I've been to repair over 10 in the last 12 months and now just tell the customer he or she would be far better replacing the whole unit.

The taps are badged under several makes including Astracast. I can't find the invoice for the last spare I bought, however I fitted a replacement tap for a customer only last week and he'd got a free cartridge from Astracast by calling their cutoemr service helpline (I think he complained about it's short life span. From what I've seen you are not alone in having a handle this has lost it's grip.

I rarely throw out a tap if there is no need but would urge you to do this as these taps are appalling. Toolstation have some Deva ones at very good prices, the replacement I fitted for the customer was item 82945. Screwfix also have a good range. Buy some 12mm flexi tap tails and a set of monobloc spanners as well and you'll be flying.

Hope this helps,

Mark

p.s Let us know if it does have a plastic inner and handle

Thanks for the replies guys. After some further inspection I found out that the makers are Paini but it seems as though my tap may now be obselete (4 years old). I checked their website and I think they have a supplier that can offer a pair of replacement handles for 17.99, which seems a bit steep for just a bit of plastic.

The inner cartridge is plastic aswell which no doubt explains the wear and tear.

I did manage to swap the handles around and it works ok as both sides are basically the same part - a plastic cover that fits over the top of the inner cartridge. The cold side was also always a bit stiffer than the hot.

I may phone Paini and try to get a replacement from them although I no longer have any reciepts. If that doesn't work I'll probably just replace the whole unit, Screwfix seem to have a few good deals and I'll also try some other places. Went to B & Q and they seemed quite expensive.

Thanks again for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back