Tapered chimney for barbecue??

MFM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I got a brickie/builder round to look at building me a big brick barbeque, but there are a few things he's uncertain of. Not sure if it's a bad sign or if it's just unusual to build these in the UK.

The first thing he was contemplating was what to use for the base/worktops. He suggested 600mm paving slabs, but would this withstand the heat as the fire would be made on top of it?

The second thing is, he doesn't know how to build the chimney so it tapers inwards towards the top. Tbh, I'm not sure how they do it without all the bricks caving in on itself.

Have a look at the picture. It will make things a lot clearer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5383991/Pics/Braai/P1090834.jpg

Edit: Not sure how to display an image, but the link above should work.

Sponsored Links
Do you want exactly what is in the picture? If so it needs a few alterations to improve its rigidity. You can use fire bricks to line the oven area once it's constructed.paving slab worktops? Why not granite or tiles?
Your hood would be built around formwork which is removed once your mortar is dry.
Do you know this brickie? Have you seen his work?
Nice BBQ.

I built a brick barbeque years ago. To protect the paving stones from the heat just use 1 " of sand on them. The real problem is that the bricks around the fire will expand when hot and contract when cold, so the mortar mix must be really soft NOT cement based - use lime. Build in ventilation holes low down above the paving stones, you can always block them up if the draught is excessive.
My design was built up against a raised flower bed. Centre paving stone 2' X 3', with 2' X 2' on each end. The 2 X2s were radiused so nice corners. The joint each side was across a supporting wall, as was the back. the three supporting walls were built up and stepped backwards , so the back wall ened up at 5' with a surround of 6" at the front. Holes were left in the side walls to allow some supporting bars to go from side to side to support the cooking grill. Some long hooks were made of SS wall ties, hooked on the back and the sides to put a warming grill on.
Just remembered I used frogless bricks on edge to keep the walls thin.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back