Tapping in to sewer under extra thick concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Want to move washing machine to an external wall, right behind which my 4" sewer runs outside under the path. I normally wouldn't mind hacking out the 6" or so thickness of concrete path but on top of that there has been an additional 8 inches minimum thick concrete disabled access ramp laid on top by the previous owner.

Trying to come up with the minimum aggro to do it. There's existing inspection chambers approx 4 - 6 metres either side of the point I want to tap in to and the ramp flattens out there - but any suggestions? Not really worried about whether to put in new chamber or branch / Tee or whatever, it's more what will be most practical with the deeper concrete cutting involved.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Want to move washing machine to an external wall, right behind which my 4" sewer runs outside under the path. I normally wouldn't mind hacking out the 6" or so thickness of concrete path but on top of that there has been an additional 8 inches minimum thick concrete disabled access ramp laid on top by the previous owner.

Trying to come up with the minimum aggro to do it. There's existing inspection chambers approx 4 - 6 metres either side of the point I want to tap in to and the ramp flattens out there - but any suggestions? Not really worried about whether to put in new chamber or branch / Tee or whatever, it's more what will be most practical with the deeper concrete cutting involved.

Ta.
Bite the bullet and hire a heavy breaker. We spent a day breaking through similar thickness last week. The path was about 6" thick, then the sewer pipe itself had another 6" laid on top of the pipe. As it go closer to the surface it all became one thickness. Nightmare trying to be aggressive but careful at the same time. Big breaker - little (Bosh roto-stop) pecker all day.

The waste from washing machines is pumped, so you can connect it into a 40mm waste pipe at a higher level so it can fall to a drain many metres away. If you can get to an existing gulley or soil pipe you won't need the Building Control approval you would for making a new connection into your drains.

Thanks guys, I need to get stuck in to this concrete anyway as the plonkers bridged the DPC when they laid the ramp. I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone..... as per the pic the washing machine's new drain position will be just the other side of that door, before the brown vent. The manhole cover in the foreground is an inspection chamber on the 90 degree bend where the sewer comes in from the left and then down past the door. If I disc cut say a 4" wide slice of the ramp all along that wall to give a gap so it's no longer bridging the DPC could I then run the waste pipe along that gap, under the door step and up somewhere close to the manhole cover - is it even possible to drain in to that manhole somehow or worse case I dig down the side of it to fit the branch - not sure what's allowed? At least I will be back in the area of thinner concrete.

The original washing machine gulley is well off to the left of the photo and just not accessible. Also that drain pipe and the surface gulley on that corner do not look to drain in to the sewer, the surface drain also floods slightly so I could do with checking further there anyway.

I don't mind engaging building control as he is due in to sign off 2 other building notices for me in a few months, hopefully he will just include it in the existing scope of works rather than having to pay up for a new notice - I get on well with him.

IMG_0340.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I need to get stuck in to this concrete anyway as the plonkers bridged the DPC when they laid the ramp. I'm wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone..... as per the pic the washing machine's new drain position will be just the other side of that door, before the brown vent. The manhole cover in the foreground is an inspection chamber on the 90 degree bend where the sewer comes in from the left and then down past the door. If I disc cut say a 4" wide slice of the ramp all along that wall to give a gap so it's no longer bridging the DPC could I then run the waste pipe along that gap, under the door step and up somewhere close to the manhole cover - is it even possible to drain in to that manhole somehow or worse case I dig down the side of it to fit the branch - not sure what's allowed? At least I will be back in the area of thinner concrete.

The original washing machine gulley is well off to the left of the photo and just not accessible. Also that drain pipe and the surface gulley on that corner do not look to drain in to the sewer, the surface drain also floods slightly so I could do with checking further there anyway.

I don't mind engaging building control as he is due in to sign off 2 other building notices for me in a few months, hopefully he will just include it in the existing scope of works rather than having to pay up for a new notice - I get on well with him.

View attachment 293552
You have to contravene the 150mm below DPC rule when building ramps, it's the whole point. You just have to try an mitigate any future issues using lead and DPM etc.

You have to contravene the 150mm below DPC rule when building ramps, it's the whole point. You just have to try an mitigate any future issues using lead and DPM etc.
No sign of any DPM and also the other similar ramp at the front also bridges the DPC for several feet and almost totally obscures an air brick, and with no sign of trying to remedy that.

BC look to encourage a minimum of 300mm offset from the wall for an adjoining / parallel ramp to avoid DPC being bridged. The path / ramp is 1.8m wide so plenty to space for them to have included an offset but no joy !

BC look to encourage a minimum of 300mm offset from the wall for an adjoining / parallel ramp to avoid DPC being bridged. The path / ramp is 1.8m wide so plenty to space for them to have included an offset but no joy !
300mm stand-off or gap? :oops:

That would result in a lot more wheelchairs being needed in the future. Unless there was a bridge of some sort...

300mm stand-off or gap? :oops:

That would result in a lot more wheelchairs being needed in the future. Unless there was a bridge of some sort...
I think they mean the gap is to be between the side of the ramp as it runs along the wall (with raised edges or side barriers) and then yeah some kind of bridge at the actual door threshold- otherwise that’s one hell of a bunny hop in a wheel chair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back