Taps with a big foot print.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got two 'big' diamond shaped holes in my old enamel bath. (What are they called? Tap tail holes?)

Now I'm ready for new taps it looks like 'modern' bath tap mixer/showers simply don't have a big enough 'footprint' to cover and seal the existing diamond shaped holes.

I need either a range of mixer shower taps with a footprint of 2 inches each side (so that's 3/4 plus 1.25 inches overlap, but could manage with a bit less) OR some kind of waterproof attractive blanking spacer to sit between the new taps and the bath.

Keeping the existing taps isn't an option.

Ideally I need 3/4 inch threads on the tails.

And I'd like it sorted on a Sunday! :)

Any ideas for taps? TIA.

Sponsored Links
I've just realized that what I should have asked for was recommendations of mixer taps with shower that have a big enough casting to clamp down on rubber washers close to 2ins diameter oaround the tap holes.

Have a goosey-gander on ebay for 'pipe escutcheons'. You may find the sort of thing you are looking for.

DH

Or do I just need taps with a square shank? (The existing taps seem to have this.)

Is there a supplier of mixer taps with square shanks? Google seems strangely unhelpful. (Yet the existing taps clearly have square shanks and top hat washers must exist for that reason.)

Unless I can find a way to do this properly, I think my plan will be to fill the gaps with 3/4ins top hat washers on top instead of underneath, and a ton of sealant, put on taps that leave a little bit of sealant/washer exposed and hope for the best.

I fear a new bath is the real solution. :(

Sponsored Links
A friend had the same issue and ended up butchering 2 toilet roll holders of all things, to get a 2" diameter spacer with a 3/4" hole in the middle.

All I know is that they came from B&Q, I have no idea what style they were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back