BATH SHOWER MIXER TAP:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my bath shower mixer tap - the bath has two tap holes. The tap is not "ancient" but could be 20+ years old. As best as I can measure, hot and cold taps are at 170mm /7" centres. Is this a standard measurement or do new mixer taps have an arrangement to cope with slightly different tap hole positions? Will appreciate any advice. As an aside, can 22mm and 3/4" pipes be easily distinguished by measuring their outside diameter or is the difference too minimal??

Sponsored Links
If you check out the Bristan range, you'll see that some of the bath / shower taps are adjustable...the 1901 is one but there are others.
As for the 3/4 to 22 mm, the difference is significant so you can use a 22mm compression coupler with a 3/4" olive to join up.
John :)

Hi - thanks for speedy reply. It would be a bit limiting to be confined to one range (and probably not obtainable from usual DIY stores). It doesn't answer underlying question - I'm sure the various manufacturers place the taps at specific centre??

Regards.

I can't really comment so lets see what the others say......my own bath has 190 centres :confused:
The good thing about Bristan stuff is that all spares are available, and that means you never have to replace the tap itself - everything is servicable from the top.
(A bigger boon than you think from time to time.....one set of taps I've done recently meant taking the ruddy loo out as there was no access) :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. My existing bath shower mixer is made by Bramham (not a dissimilar name?). First one I looked at in the Bristan range (1901) is very like it. When a manufacturer gives you a technical drawing, you know you're looking at big bucks - the 1901 is £360! Perhaps that's the price of quality? To be honest, you expect a tap to perform its function for years and years and even then only anticipate a replacement washer! Bristan give centre to centre for tap holes in that model as 180mm.

Bramham are another traditional make, so you should be able to buy with confidence.
Just personally speaking, give me the rubber washer type taps every time....granted the ceramic 1/4 turn ones can look great but you can't always get the insert when it fails - and they certainly do!
Some of the oriental things supplied by Ikea, Aldi etc are nothing but a joke.
For anyone with an application where the taps are difficult or impossible to get at, its the quality ones every time.

Thanks again. Although I'm thinking that for £360 I could buy a decent pair of ordinary bath taps and possibly have enough left for a separate electric shower.

I'm surprised there's not more responses to this basic query, am I just impatient (in which case I apologise - responses were very quick in the past)? It MUST be a problem that crops up quite often?? Surely not everyone replaces the taps AND the bath as the bath is likely to outlast the taps.
I'm a bit worried this is another metrication folly where things don't match up because the metric equivalent has been rounded up/down. I haven't done much plumbing so I'm not sure if the tap holes themselves are quite oversized and so allow a little tolerance? This is a house I want to escape before too long so I didn't really want to buy top-range fittings. Advice appreciated please.
Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back