Tarmac run in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys a little advice please.
Last September I had the council ( their contractors) come and take the kerb out and do a run in to access my driveway. They didn't want to use concrete because it doesn't last ( bull) so I went with them and had Tarmac laid.

Each time I drive over this cr*p it sticks to my tyres, this mean each time I enter the drive I have to get a brush out, and clean up... to prevent this black mess from treading in the house.

The boss came this morning to see what I was complaining about, he told me " it's the power steering, to try not to use it" I told him that was a ridiculous suggestion, because, if I just reversed straight back in I would be right in front of my door, and not to the right of it as I like to park. I do turn my wheel on the tarmac but I don't turn them whilst stationary. He said after the bitumen evaporated it would stop ???.

So basically what he's saying to me is I can only drive in a straight line over the Tarmac in the summer, but when winter comes I can spin for england on it.
I'm going to ring the council up again this morning and tell them what the contractor said, and that I think they are talking rubbish.
OR! should just shut up and put up???
TIA
Lynn
P.S A surveyor at the council did say it should not soften in the heat we have in this country, contractor said he didn't know what he was talking about lol

Sponsored Links
I have known people sprinkle sharp sand over it and brush it to and fro, it sticks to the sticky tarry surface (when hot) and takes the black shine off.

the sticky black surface will eventually go.....

along with the nice new black looking tarmac, to charcoal or dull grey. :cry: :eek:

realistically though, tarmac does take time to bed-in. usually only a couple of days.

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall, I'm not bothered about it looking dull and grey, as long as the blumin thing stops making a flippin mess. It's been down 9 months now, I could have conceived, gestated and given birth in the time its taken the cutting agent to evaporate.lol.
Anyways, I called the council back....told them what their contractor said, and the manager he wasn't a happy chappy, he said I would hear from them soon
Thanks again chaps
Lynn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back