tata vehicles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone ever had any dealings with this make (indian originally i think) and anyone got any views?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yeah thats all i could find on the net about them too. Im looking at buying a second hand pick up for my business, on a very limited budget. Ive seen one at a very good price, compared to the usual bravas and hi-luxs, but would like to know a bit more of the background on them

I believe that they are manufactured using the tooling from obsolete british cars, eg. the metro, morris ital etc, wouldn't swear to it though.

I said:
...ever heard a word against them !!..
Mind you - I hadn't actually heard of them before ...

Eddie said:
.... manufactured using the tooling from obsolete british cars, eg. the metro, morris ital etc, wouldn't swear to it though...
Blimey, build an interesting 'Pickup' out of that lot then...

Tata group used to be TELCO .. They bought the Daewoo truck building plant in South Korea sometime around 2004.
Largest Indian auto manufacturer.
:rolleyes:

hmmm, so any opinions on vauxhall bravas/ toyota hiluxs (apart from the fact they can stand the jeremy clarkson tests!) etc?

TATA LOADBETA 4X4 PICK-UP
loadbeta2.jpg
-- Looks handy... More use than a 'Chelsea tractor'
Price: £9,995 plus VAT and delivery pack
Total: £12,244.13 Get the vat back ??

Tested here :- http://www.car-reports.co.uk/4x4/story12.htm

Cheap as chips !!

Double cab ... ah,ha I have seen the logo all over the shop !!

loadbeta.jpg

;) ;)

I have never owned one and only speaking generally about a trade opinion of them. As said in the article they are very basic, some would say almost primitive, like the old Lada riva etc. They definately rust badly so will not last as long as the Japenese ones you mentioned. They are built for a third world market and it shows, because of these quality issues the deprieciation is very bad, hence the reason it is cheap. Having said all that I believe they are quite reliable, when they first came here they had mercedes diesel engines and many other mechanical componants. I believe they still do but you will have to check this out. When googling you may do better with Mercedes Tata rather than just Tata.

In my opinion the best would be Toyota, followed by the fabulously economical and long lived(though rare) VW golf diesel pick, these are FWD and so quite low and easy to load. If the Tata is cheap enough though and will do what you want then OK, but just consider it a throwaway product like a cheap drill driver or such like.

Toyota Hi Lux's are pretty much indesructable, and reasonably cheap second hand. I drive a posh one :D

cheers chaps, its got to be a second hand one, so i think ill rule the tata out. What about vauxhall bravas?

A lot better though nowhere near Toyota standard. They are a badge engineered Isuzu's and there are millions of them in use abroad. The engines are a tad noisy though they do plod on, again like nearly all pick-ups they have rust problems. If you don't need 4X4 the Ford P100's drive quite well and are more comfortable, avoid them thristy petrols though.

If you can find one, even if it means travelling, you will be much better off with a Toyota in the long run. In all area's they are just so much better. This is why they are dearer initially, but can be cheaper in the long run. In my opinion a good late Toyota would last longer than some of the other ones even when new.

Have you tried the Autotrader site yet? You may have to register but it will give you an idea of what you will get for your budget.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

next lot of advice! Im going to look at a p100, 65000 genuine on the clock and immaculate, as an old boy had it as his second car runaround. I know that its basically a sierra, so what do i need to look out for?

Sponsored Links
Back