Tattered felt

Dit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This new house I've bought has under-roof felt in tatters and missing in parts. I'm wondering if it is OK to tack new felt to the underside of the rafters? Or should I tack it to the battens, and around the rafters so there is no space?

As an aside, there are about 50 frost-damaged tiles which will be replaced, so (depending on expert opinion yet to be sought) the entire roof may eventually get relaid. In this case I presume new felt would be put down as part of the procedure?

Any comments regarding these questions would be gratefully received. Thanks, Tim.

Sponsored Links
The chances are, if there are 50 perished tiles visible, then there are likely to be 500 that you can not see.

I'm assuming plain clays?

When you say the roof felt is in tatters, are you sure it isn't the remains of (fragile) tarred roofing paper?

Yes they are plain clay tiles. Scary thought there being that many affected-sounds even more likely to be a replacement job!

And my terminology is fairly basic, I guess it is called the roofing paper. The stuff that stops the black dust coming into the loft.

There is a difference betwixt roofing paper and felt - both have been used.

When times were hard roofing paper (cheaper than sarking felt) was better than nowt, but would perish after a time. It reveals itself by hanging down in tatters as you describe.

Some 'site roofers' who pride money over quality are not averse to leaving the odd valley or lap tail-end of felt hanging into the roof space also.:cool:

Any chance of a photo?

Sponsored Links
A pic would be very helpful, but as already said you will have many more damaged and a re-roof will be the only real option.

As a result of noseall's post and discussion with an architect I've resigned myself to a reroof at some point. When money allows!

An insulation surveyor had a look at my loft yesterday and suggested that it is a hessian fabric; I've attached three images for your pleasure.

I'm very grateful for the comments received!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back