Tea urn wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My local primary school has an electric urn rated at 2500 to 3000W operating at 240V. It has a 13 amp fused plug fitted which when they use the urn connected to the mains via an extension lead, the leads gets hot. When plugged directly into the wall the urn works without any increase in cable temperature. I realise that at 3000W it will draw 12.5 amps but my question is can I buy or make up an extension lead of bigger diameter cable to resolve the hot lead problem as they need to use the urn away from the nearest socket.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
No offence but are you sure you're qualified & insured to solve this problem?

You have to be careful in that environment. Has the urn & lead been PAT tested?

Are you the caretaker?

It would seem to me that the extension lead is not rated to 13A if it is getting stressed. Either that or there are loose connections somewhere in it.

hi

thanks for your reply. anwers as follows

Qualified yes. Insured no, Caretaker no. Urn and lead have been Pat tested to Oct this year. The information I supplied was from the caretaker. I think this has been a recurring problem with different extension leads. When discussing this problem with the caretaker he assured me that the extension leads used were not on a drum (no trandformer effect).
No offence taken. ;)

chrisbagsy said:
hi

. Urn and lead have been Pat tested

PAT testing does not stress items at load (or overload) conditions. An overlength or undersized extension lead will heat up. You should get an extension lead that is spec'd for 13A.

Sponsored Links
But were they capable of carrying 13A?

It may be a better solution (excuse pun!) to get a council spark (if a state school) to fit a new socket where the urn is sited, rather than take risks associated with an extension lead.

If you must use a lead, run it safely (with flexible floor covering if necessary) & make sure it is rated to 13A.

thanks Talortwocities and Securespark.

Again I asked the Caretaker about the size of the extension leads and was told they were 13Amp rated!! Have to take what he says at face value.
Unfortunately they are looking for a solution prior to the weekend "School Funday". Hence me wodering if a palliative solution would be to buy a "bigger" rated lead (not sure i used the best tem there).
Your replies are filling me with great confidence as nothing you have said so far has filled me with dread yet!!!

A 13A (1.5mm) rated ext. lead running at 12.5 A is going to get warm - it has to dissipate about 9W/metre of heat due to cable resistance.

So long as it does not exceed its rated operating temp (70c ish) then it's not unsafe.

You've probably done this, but it bears repetition, not just for you, but for anyone else with a similar problem.
Apart from the electrical caveats, you must think of the whole. This is an unfixed container of boiling water and you are adding a tripping hazard. Most electrical devices have short leads to avoid tripping or pulling by small children. Think of electric kettles of a few years ago; many scalded children due to pulling on leads hanging over the edge of worktops. Now cable length limited.
Whatever you think of the nanny state, you are legally as well as morally required to carry out a hazard / risk analysis.
All the same - enjoy the day and have fun.
V

I think I would be looking at a longer term solution like having a drinks water heater installed with its own dedicated supply and hence no trailing leads and extensions.

To answer the actual question asked, yes, it is possible to make up an extension lead yourself. The correct conductor size to use depends on the length of the cable in question, but you will probably find that 2.5mm 3-core flex will do the job nicely. Fit a 13A RCD plug on one end and a single trailing socket on the other to deter people from overloading the extension.

Keep it safe, please!

You will need a decent plug to fit 2.5mm into ;) It also takes a little bit of skill!

Lectrician said:
You will need a decent plug to fit 2.5mm into ;) It also takes a little bit of skill!

I've always found RCD plugs to be quite spacious, wiring 2.5mm in doesn't tend to be a problem. Rubber coated DuraPlugs don't seem to be too bad either, although as you say, a bit of skill does help :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back