Tear in Lead Flashing

C

cabot

Just had upvc fitted to dormer fascia by roofers and noticed that the lead flashing above the window has a 3 inch tear in it. Rather than try and rip all the new build out how easy is it to weld the damage? the lead flashing can be pulled upwards in to a horizontal position away from the building

Sponsored Links
If your happy to get the builders back can you get them to mend it?
(they may have done it)
not sure about welding lead though. i'm no expert but
if you feel competent tackling it and for peace of mind you might be better off biting the bullet and replacing it.

Hi folks new here!!

Get the boys back to see if they'll fix it on the of chance.

if the crack in the lead is causing a leak and you can lift the lead up, you can do this and apply some lead mate (Scerwfix) down the crack on the back of the lead the dress the lead back down. this is temp only of course.

You could replace it with lead but you would prob have to do it all to make it look nice.

Been a roofer for 12 years and my rule is if its not broken don't fix is!!!!

Cheers

The Drew

t. Rather than try and rip all the new build out how easy is it to weld the damage?
easy for me , because I`ve got the oxy-acetelene and the kit ;) you could try a few roofers and ask to see them demonstrate a weld .....seriously.....I saw a roofer make an excellent job with a miniature kit that you could carry in a Tesco bag ;) Be up front with them ....If I was asked , I`d be happy to weld a couple of bits of lead in the back of the van as a demo to prove my worth

Sponsored Links
I honestly dont think they will be back.I have tried phoning them just to get them back to replace some of the welsh slates that have been either cracked or broken by them.....One of the slates is located on the corner of the dormer cheek facing the west which gets all the rain and wind. I dont think i have a snowballs chance in hell of them coming back for the simple reason that they have been paid and its a shame to say it but its cowboys like that that give tradesmen a bad name.

possible to solder overlapped lead sheet with solder......must be scraped clean and pressed together then heated with blowlamp use tallow as the flux ( candle wax would probably do ) then the solder flows by capillary action like a normal copper tube fitting ;) Doubt if you`d get a soldering iron big enough to transfer enough heat...........OR you could build up a line of Grade D solder on top of the sheet lead...It`s still used in Classic car restoration.....but it`s expensive and looks like a grey slug laying on the lead sheet :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back