technical theft?

CJ

This situation is really no different to a bank crediting your account with £1,000 instead of £100.

Yes, it is technically theft. At the point you or your parents realised the mistake and decided not to return the excess goods or notify the store that is the point when the offence is complete.

Definition of Theft ; A person dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive that person of it.

If caught, denying any guilty knowledge is technically perverting the course of justice.

Taking the excess back for a refund is technically Criminal Deception.

In practice rarely are these cases prosecuted. Although Theft by Finding is becoming more common place.

In your situation I would do the job and then phone the store and tell them they supplied too many. Leave it to them to pick them up if they want them. Bet they say "Don't worry about it".

This results in a clear conscience.

Rigid Raiders "Unsolicited goods. The law is quite clear on this; it's the retailer's problem" is a load of Carp. A mistake by the retailer is not Unsolicited goods. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
we didn't appropriate anything.. we were given it.. we didn't take extra.. we were given extra..
it's not like I purpously loaded an extra 6 boxes on while he went to answer the phone..
he put them in my van..

we didn't appropriate anything.. we were given it.. we didn't take extra.. we were given extra..
it's not like I purpously loaded an extra 6 boxes on while he went to answer the phone..
he put them in my van..
im not saying i wouldnt have done the same as you :oops: but like you i know it is theft, you dont need us to try to ease your concience, ok you didnt lift 6 extra boxes, and may not have noticed at the time, but you now know you have more tiles than you paid for so you have a legal obligation to inform the store and let them arrange uplift

If you feel any guilt, i'd ring the store and thank them for the extra boxes/tiles and take it from there!
If you don't feel any guilt or not enough! Do your splash back and pray to God for forgiveness ;)

Sponsored Links
CJ

Mate. You are right you didn't take the materials. You did appropriate them however. Check the definition of the word.

In cases like the bank example I gave the customer took nothing but appropriated the money when they knew it was mistakingly paid into their account.

Let us know what the store says when you contact them!

I was never proud of a similar situation many many moons ago in my life. It quite often springs to my mind and that is my conscience punishing me for a poor decision I made at the time. (As Grouchy Gremlin keeps reminding me) ;)

I'm slightly confused. They sell tiles by the boxes not by the square meter. Surly he sold you the 16 or 17 boxes thinking they were 1m2 per pack. You still bought 16 or 17 boxes. It just happens that there is greater coverage in each box and you will be able to take back the unused boxes for a refund as you purchased the tiles by the box in the first place.

I'm slightly confused. They sell tiles by the boxes not by the square meter. Surly he sold you the 16 or 17 boxes thinking they were 1m2 per pack. You still bought 16 or 17 boxes. It just happens that there is greater coverage in each box and you will be able to take back the unused boxes for a refund as you purchased the tiles by the box in the first place.
you will see tiles advertised at £x per m2 not box, so if you "bought" 16m2 and they came in 18 boxes then no prob, what we clearly have here is siomething different and not confusing at all, customer knows they got more than they paid for, do the fess up or steal the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Back