Teenage mums: are schools to blame?

ninebob said:
If kids were educated that any 2 people can have a relationship regardless of gender, I don't think it would spawn a nation of "Colin & Justin"s, just a more tolerant society all round.

To be honest I'm not sure it is necessary: my mum is a primary school teacher with a gay colleague. He is either Colin or Justin (the more effeminate one who doesn't have the speech impediment) out of a Colin and Justin relationship. Now, neither of them hide the fact they are gay, but it really isn't hard to tell.

This teacher is in the church choir, as is his partner. A classic moment was when a 9-year old said "You know Mr X who sings in the choir? I think he is gay". Totally matter-of-fact, not a hint of a giggle. Well, perhaps a titter from us later on, it is hard to keep a straight face when someone innocently uses the phrase "sings in the choir" in reference to a gay man! :LOL:

I don't think the derogatory use of "gay" occurs until children are old enough to know what they are doing, and certainly when I was at school the word "gay" was used more often to describe something "rubbish" than to insinuate homosexual tendencies.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
I don't think the derogatory use of "gay" occurs until children are old enough to know what they are doing, and certainly when I was at school the word "gay" was used more often to describe something "rubbish" than to insinuate homosexual tendencies.
I think this is the point. If I remember rightly, you're the same age as me (24). I don't know about you, but when I was at school commons insults were "spastic" and "biffa", which we were very quickly (and rightly so) reprimanded for using. We were then educated "you can't use that as an insult, you don't know what it it means, this it what it means and it's very insulting to those who do suffer from those inflictions.

With section 28 in place, calling something or someone "gay" was allowed to ride because teachers were not allowed to give the same information. Using it as a glib insult without being aware of it's meaning only came about because it was essentially illegal to talk about it. And this was only a few years ago!

AdamW said:
Point out one thing that I have got wrong in that quote...

Proof that the human race is devolving.

Really? What proof?

Those with genes worth passing on work hard and have 2 or 3 kids.

Really? And what are your credentials for deciding which genes are worthy?

Those who should really be sterilised stay at home getting drunk and pregnant all day.

Withdrawing state benefits is one thing, enforced sterilisation quite another. Oh hang on, I get it now, your real name is God, right?

ninebob said:
If I remember rightly, you're the same age as me (24).
A whole week older, actually! :D

I don't know about you, but when I was at school commons insults were "spastic" and "biffa", which we were very quickly (and rightly so) reprimanded for using. We were then educated "you can't use that as an insult, you don't know what it it means, this it what it means and it's very insulting to those who do suffer from those inflictions.

True, I got in trouble for calling someone a spastic at school. However, now that there is no such thing as a spastic now, I do occasionally call someone a spaz. I refrain from calling people "****" though.

However, "spastic" is/was a word with only one meaning. "Gay" is a word that was adopted by the gay community itself, largely due to the word's positivity. I'm sure we have all read green-ink rants in the Times from retired colonels saying "When I was young, gay was a perfectly good word for brightly coloured or happy. Yet last week I was speaking to a navvy. I said 'My word, you do look gay in your fluorescent jacket' and he punched me in the face!"

So, personally I think using the word "gay" in the sense of "This math's homework is totally gay" is acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Really? What proof?

I'll see if I can dig out some later. But for now, just consider the fact that one of the byproducts of modern medicine has been to make it significantly easier to pass on defective genes.

keyplayer said:
Really? And what are your credentials for deciding which genes are worthy?

First off, I am not proposing a eugenics programme here. I am not talking purely about genes. If you are a layabout who does nothing to help himself or society, doesn't care, and believes the world owes him a living, then this attitude will be past on to your kids. So why should you be allowed to inflict your offspring on society? They offer no benefit to mankind by their existence. In fact, they are a drain. Yet quite frequently they are the ones having all the children instead of those who would make (dare I say it) worthy parents.

Those who should really be sterilised stay at home getting drunk and pregnant all day.

Withdrawing state benefits is one thing, enforced sterilisation quite another.

Ahhh, I see where you have gone wrong here. By saying "those who should really be sterilised", I don't actually mean that they should be sterilised. It is a trait of the English language to occasionally exagerate to the point of absurdity, in order to emphasise disdaine.

I don't honestly think that those of lower worth should be sterilised. Eugenics attempts in the past have always failed.

Oh hang on, I get it now, your real name is God, right?

Hey, you read my profile! ;)

I don't know about the sex-ed side of this but do know they are all scrounging lazy s**s. The 12 year old should be taken into care and the baby adopted, then the father prosecuted for rape. The same for the 14 year old. The 16 old we are stuck with, but all benefits should be stopped until she puts the dirty old man who was responsible in the frame, he should then be made to accept his responsibilties. The mother is obviously an old slapper who should go and get a job like the rest of us.

I suspect these people knew exactly what they were doing and can now live comfortably off our backs, I further suspect that once the babies reach school leaving age more will appear too.

The mother has also said that the free council house is not big enough and she is having to share a room with the 16 year old. Given the age of the mother, and the father of the 16 year olds child, one must wonder what else has been shared. Ones up, two's up or all the lot?

Scrounging bl*****s should be sent down the pits.

I agree with you 110% there Dave, well said! :D

There can be no doubt that a 38-year-old man is old enough to take responsibility for his actions. What he did isn't illegal, but you have to wonder about a man of that age sleeping with a girl of 16.

AdamW said:
JulieL said:
Unfortunately though, we are going to see more teenage pregnancies, more abortions, more sexually transmitted infections until the parents and the education system gets on top of things (so to speak!!!!)

Come on Julie, surely you aren't actually agreeing with the silly woman who claims the schools are to blame for her daughters getting up the duff! :LOL:

Schools, hence teachers, are there to educate in academic matters. This is why it can be referred to as academic study. Obviously the biological aspects of sex are covered by this, but I really don't think that the greater ramifications fall within a teacher's remit.

No Adam I don't think the schools are to blame for the girls getting pregnant.
But you know, in the ideal world all parents would teach their kids all they need to know to make them well balanced teenagers/adults - who would be able to ask their parents anything and share their worries and concerns.
But, in reality we all know that doesn't happen!!!
Therefore there has to be some kind of system that provides for this gap created by the parents who can't or won't discuss these important issues with their kids.
As they are at school, I think it would be a good idea to provide this in the school environment - I'm not saying it should be teachers though, I have on many occasions offered to go into the schools to do some sexual health teaching but am still waiting for someone to get back to me.........!

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of young people who come to the sexual health clinics for the morning after pill, referrals for terminations etc. More often than not they are too scared to discuss whats going on with their parents because they are afraid of the response they'll get - some even worry about being 'thrown out' or hit

Sex education? Don't get me started!

Actually there's no need to get me started because this isn't about sex education at all. Even the pathetic excuse for sex-ed that British schools offer would have prevented this triple c*ck-up (no pun intended) so I won't bother reiterating my unequivocal advice to all teenagers. One daughter accidently getting pregnant points to poor education. All three is a conspiracy.

I think what we have here is the modern equivalent of an attitude not uncommon among girls of minimal intelligence in the sixties and seventies. It went something like this:

"If I get pregnant it'll be his fault. He'll have to marry me then we can live happily ever after." or, for those not entirely lost in the fairy tale world of Mills and Boon, "If I get pregnant it'll be his fault. He'll have to marry me and I can get away from this house/job/neighbourhood."

Thirty years later Women's Lib has changed the rules a bit --

"If I get pregnant that's no big deal. I'll get my own council house and that drunken slob of a boyfriend will finally clear off. Two for the price of one."

It's such a familiar story that it's not even news anymore. What makes this case so unusual is that their mother must have been in on it - and it's entirely possible that one or more of the baby's fathers is also their grandfather!

david and julie said:
The mother is obviously an old slapper who should go and get a job like the rest of us.

Scrounging bl*****s should be sent down the pits.

Not the answer though, is it?! ;)

david and julie said:
. The mother is obviously an old slapper who should go and get a job like the rest of us.

Why don't you offer her one?

david and julie said:
. Scrounging bl*****s should be sent down the pits..

And then made to lick the road clean with their tongues?

No point in me offering her one it sounds like she's already had enough.

I was only joking about the mines peter, I wouldn't send the kids down there, not so sure about her though.

Tell what do you suggest we do with people like this?

The answer just cannot be punishment .. Kids in UK get a raw deal .. we should not be spending zillions on the problems of other countries when clearly so much needs 'doing' here.
I think the sight of 'feral' groups of teenagers and kids fulltime 'hanging out' is a reflection of our inability to provide .. sensible work experience ... activities .. sports facilities .. Libraries .. etc
How do the Aussies find so much talent from a population of 20 Mill ???
It is not magic and they are not a 'master race' ??

P

JulieL said:
Interesting article re 3 sisters who had babies at 12, 14 & 16.

http://www.itv.com/news/index_1422451.html

What I find amazing is that the Mother of these girls blames their schools for not properly teaching sex education to the girls .
Surely sex/relationship education starts in the home?

i think the mother should be prosecuted and the girls should be taken of her and put into care this stupid mother herself should have been sterilized at birth and who is the farther probably some pedo uncle.

Sponsored Links
Back