Is he Right?? Tory That Blames Foodbanks Use on Those that "Can't Cook, Budget"

Reaction score
Country
Palau
https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/11/tory-mp-lee-anderson-moans-poor-people-cant-cook-properly-16626557/

Quote:
Tory MP says poor people ‘can’t cook or budget properly’

I'm with him 100% but no fan of any politician

Not sure what they teach in schools but if they don't they need to teach

Ethics of work and what this does to self-esteem

Managing money

Shopping/Budgeting for food, bills and emergencies.

That society does not own you anything

Respect to the law/rules and politeness

How to walk before you can run

===========

It was our parents that taught us never to borrow money on credit unless buying a property and/or business and stopped me from buying my first car at 18 on HP. Their insight made us ie all children of our parents our children what we are today.

Re cooking, I was lucky as I've got four sisters and was never a fan of cooking but eating and mummy made food that everyone loved. Having pie/fish and chips was a treat and it happened not more than about 3 times a month. Why, because it cost a lot more than cooking at home.

Too many in society blame everyone else rather than themselves and want something for naff all.

I'm with this bloke on what it said.

Sponsored Links
He claims that you can cook a meal for 30pence.
Some people cannot afford fuel, let alone food.

There are stories in the press at the moment where a Tory mayor is in full chain rig out cutting the ribbon on a food bank. How the heck do you celebrate that?

He claims that you can cook a meal for 30pence.
Some people cannot afford fuel, let alone food.

There are stories in the press at the moment where a Tory mayor is in full chain rig out cutting the ribbon on a food bank. How the heck do you celebrate that?

It can be done.

Compared to take away prices even if its 2/3 times a week, much cheaper to do at home. The 30p if you inc the heating is pusing it but
own brand flakes and cold milk for breakfast, 5p?

Sponsored Links
It can be done.
For me whether it can be done or not isn't the core question, the core question is, is it right that some people need to rely on foodbanks in what is supposedly a wealthy country.

If you watch the guy giving his speech, what an odious viewpoint to hold. He, a Tory, then has the audacity to say the opposition party aren't living in the real world! Because of course, the Tories are ...

It doesn't matter what way you slice it, the current capitalist model isn't working for the masses. See my other post re capping wages. x decades ago the average gap between workers and CEOs was <10x, now it's in the region of 30x. Poor getting poorer, rich getting ... well you know the rest.

Further, whilst we can all empathise with certain people and certain things, unless we've experienced that thing directly, we can't ever know what it's really like.

The masses get thrown scraps from a financial perspective to keep us in our lane, whilst the rich just keep on getting richer and richer.

Great system ... if you're rich ;)

8F9380CC-9B35-4847-9039-2E0924E74536.jpeg

Personally I was not impressed when Cameron stated that people who fall below the net are not their problem. Charities used to look after them and should now.

Then came the growth of food banks. Pretty quickly as well.

I don't find it easy to work out what poverty means. Take a couple with 2 kids and some work is possible. How much work, working tax credits have complications. Child care costs. Rental costs relate to property prices. How much do they actually earn? Clothes are needed from time to time. Kids grow quickly and stuff doesn't last that long. Work generally means some transport costs. Do people need a phone? Light and heating. Variety of food - get the balance wrong and health will suffer.

Without knowing how much £ people finish up with I don't see how anyone can make judgements. There seems to be an assumption that all just buy take aways. Ready meals in some respects may not be that bad value when the cost of the ingredients are added up. Diy will be cheaper but how much and the prices of ready vary a lot. 30p a day for food doesn't sound workable to me. How much per person is needed? Should they eat the same things every day?

Then the Tory idea that work MUST pay. How much and is it available? Not all can get highly paid jobs. Talking to some one that does know people who are unemployed some people find that at some point past 40, 50 sometimes mentioned people can find it hard to get any job what ever they did before when they loose that one. It happens.

Serious foodbanks - they have no interest in perishables. I don't think it would be a good idea to try and just live on those.

When Mrs Mottie was at school, they used to teach the girls house keeping. In her school they had a mock house and they were taught how to cook, sweep, dust, polish etc. Once a week the 'lucky ones' had to make a meal from scratch and the headmaster would eat it. Can you imagine what would happen if girls were asked to do that these days?

Hard to manage money when you have none.
Hard to cook when you have no gas or electric.

Some people can't afford to take raw food from food banks because they can't afford the energy to cook it. They can only afford to eat cold for from tins.

That mp is a prick, like most others in his party. No compassion, no empathy, living in their ivory towers, counting their pennies.

Last edited:
My feeling is that these Tory MPs should try living on under £90 a week for 3 or 4 months and see how they feel about the world, especially with the DWP constantly harassing them to apply for jobs, any job regardless of how unsuitable they are (or how little chance there is of getting the position). At the same time if you are on benefits you are obliged to take the first job you are offered - so even if you are a qualified vet, you'd have take a job as a toilet cleaner if that was the first job offered - or lose your benefits. Wonderful system. Really motivates people

Some people can't afford to take raw food from food banks because they can't afford the energy to cook it. They can only afford to eat child for from tins.
What these MPs don't even take into account is that the poorest in society are generally on pay as you go meters - the most expensive way to purchase energy - and because of this country's abysmally low housing insulation standards they are often living in housing with the worst insulation, as well.

That mp is a prick, like most others in his party. No compassion, no empathy, living in their ivory towers, counting their pennies.
Something we agree on!

Take a couple with 2 kids and some work is possible. How much work, working tax credits have complications. Child care costs. Rental costs relate to property prices. How much do they actually earn? Clothes are needed from time to time. Kids grow quickly and stuff doesn't last that long. I don't think it would be a good idea to try and just live on those.

You have inadvertently hit the nail on the head for the majority of people using food banks. IE having children
Sure circumstances can change but the number of people I've seen through work that could ill afford to manage their lives end up with 2/3/4 kids.

When we had our kids, we though long and hard and how many we could afford, ie provide a bedroom, clothing, extra education, treats
and pay our bills, mortges, work costs, looking after the kids etc etc. It's called forward planning

Sure you will get about 4 to 8% falling on serious bad luck ie ill health, no work, semi poor health, other problems but the vast majority
that get to that situation have themselves to blame but it is easy to blame others.

I wanted a brand new car the day I started work, a holiday in the usa, go our with mates, wear designer clothing, take cabs, enjoy and enjoy, but my parents taught us about reality of life.

Too many people want something for nothing and eaily blame others.

Some using foodbanks have most likley misspent their money whether its firewater/cigs/cabs/fast food/holidays/latest mobiles/skytv or other stuff on hp where they are paying interest when they could have done without.

No one gave me or my siblings a penny, we stayed with our parents until we had money in the pocket and bank and the only money we have borrowed is for mortgages.

Most people work to get to where they are and many others soend their and or dole money on the lottery etc and dream about it.

Some people can't afford to take raw food from food banks because they can't afford the energy to cook it. They can only afford to eat cold for from tins.

True - but how did you manage to own your own property, car, pay the mortgage, bills, etc etc
Did you get a handout??

I believe the answer will be no in most cases as most work hard, spend wisely and gradually build up financial security.

Someone posted here about a mock house at a school

that reminded me re my high school.

We had something similar with a massive lounge for 30 kids and a big kitchen, frdges, etc etc and boys and girls got to spend two lessons there a week in their 5th year and those that wanted to spend time their on their own during luch breaks could but had to take repsosiblity.

our school was advance for its time and one of the few where you coupld complet you 'A' levels.

kids neeed life, real life skills leassons but i doubt they get those.

Sponsored Links
Back