Is he Right?? Tory That Blames Foodbanks Use on Those that "Can't Cook, Budget"

People do fall on hard times. You have obviously been lucky.
Often women who leave abusive relationships are the ones suffering. Being a single mother with no home, no job - not easy to just get back to work and start over.
I've met a few people like this over the years through charitable work, and it is terrible really. They have nothing. One woman had her front teeth missing, only a son, and the clothes they fled in - nothing else at all.

Sponsored Links
People do fall on hard times. You have obviously been lucky.
Often women who leave abusive relationships are the ones suffering. Being a single mother with no home, no job - not easy to just get back to work and start over.
I've met a few people like this over the years through charitable work, and it is terrible really. They have nothing. One woman had her front teeth missing, only a son, and the clothes they fled in - nothing else at all.

The highlighted bit, I've mentioned that but the majority dont, they make their own "hard times"

I've met a few people as per you post but the vast majority, 95% plus was self-inflicted as per my previous posts

Just look around you when you are out - try to clock the mobile phones and the designer gear clothing at the dole centre and you will know what I am saying.

Not for a moment I'm saying everyone is to blame but the vast majority

btw, when i got married, we did not go on a hols outside england for a good 11/12 years and the hols in the uk were once every 2 years in a caravan park
only when we we knew we could pay off the mortgage had newish cars savings etc and the kids were 5 and over we started spening more of the good times and we worked to better jobs as well.

True - but how did you manage to own your own property, car, pay the mortgage, bills, etc etc
Did you get a handout??

No handouts for me, all my own hard work, and good fortune. I know I was lucky, much luckier than others. I bought a flat at the right time (within a year of first good job, 100% mortgage) and worked up from that.

But if I didn't own a property now, I'd be stuffed. No idea how my kids will manage, it is near impossible to buy a property one a single salary now unless you are earning £60k a year, and average salary still in low 20s.

Many people who think there is not a problem happen to be those who also have owned property for over 20 years.

Cheapest flat is my area is £52,500 for a 25% share.
Cheapest full ownership is £130,000 (flat, leasehold, with management fees and ground rent on top). A young working person would need to earn about £45k to buy a one bedroom flat now - that's more than I earn now! Entry jobs start at £20k, which is little more than they did 25 years ago when I started working.

Sponsored Links
FSfFcKzWQAUxSMc

No handouts for me, all my own hard work, and good fortune. I know I was lucky, much luckier than others. I bought a flat at the right time (within a year of first good job, 100% mortgage) and worked up from that.

But if I didn't own a property now, I'd be stuffed. No idea how my kids will manage, it is near impossible to buy a property one a single salary now unless you are earning £60k a year, and average salary still in low 20s.

Many people who think there is not a problem happen to be those who also have owned property for over 20 years.

Cheapest flat is my area is £52,500 for a 25% share.
Cheapest full ownership is £130,000 (flat, leasehold, with management fees and ground rent on top). A young working person would need to earn about £45k to buy a one bedroom flat now - that's more than I earn now! Entry jobs start at £20k, which is little more than they did 25 years ago when I started working.

Well done and good on you

We were taught from childhood that we need to buy our own property and never to borrow money for anything else

one of our children recently bought a house, detached propery costing in excess of 650k - ( bought his first property in 2007 and sold at a massive 70k loss in 2009 whe he sold up to work abroad - it had massive sercie charges inc car parking secuirt)) he did not have his own property as he rented in central london with mates for years, his fault but he had saved over 200k for the deposit along with his OH(she did not have a lot of money) - we gave him xxxx amount over xxxx which he did not want but we insisted. we worry for them and think they do too many hols etc and that he should have bought something less expenvice just in the next road but he is cofident that buying in a better location a better property means better returns come to sell and upgrade he has a point. He has a massive mortgae about 350k but i guess he knows what they are doing but me and his mum constantly tell them to cut back on their hols and spending and concentrate on the mortgage he does over pay it and has several pensions but parents always worry.

Our children have worked up the ladder as we did as we all feel why should we not get paid more like the others

it is hard in london but always has been and my parents moved us from leeds - we had a massive house and got peants for it in 1979 and cost us about 11/12 times more for the property in london for an ordianry terraced house, old victorian 4 bed but it was domne up and then prices crashed after that dad told us but we had bought it to live in

Last edited:
When Mrs Mottie was at school, they used to teach the girls house keeping. In her school they had a mock house and they were taught how to cook, sweep, dust, polish etc. Once a week the 'lucky ones' had to make a meal from scratch and the headmaster would eat it. Can you imagine what would happen if girls were asked to do that these days?

Most probably put the dinner lady's and the cleaners out of work .

Some people can't afford to take raw food from food banks because they can't afford the energy to cook it. They can only afford to eat cold for from tins.

Are you honestly, honestly, trying to tell me with a straight face, that there are people too poor to accept free food. **** me I've heard it all now.

I bought my first property in 1978, houses were cheap as chips apparently, interest rates were historically ten times higher than the rate they've just increased to. But here's the funny thing, I didn't know anyone, myself included, who could afford to buy a property on a single wage, maybe the snowflake generation are expecting too much. Perhaps we should set up 'house banks' and give them away free, no doubt people wouldn't be able to accept free houses because the cost of putting a table and chairs in there would be too expensive. BTW the average UK salary is nearer 31K.

it is hard in london but always has been and my parents moved us from leeds - we had a massive house and got peants for it in 1979 and cost us about 11/12 times more for the property in london for an ordianry terraced house, old victorian 4 bed but it was domne up and then prices crashed after that dad told us but we had bought it to live in

It's only in the last 30 years house prices in London have way outstripped other areas of the country. In 1970 you could pick up a house in London for 5K.

It's only in the last 30 years house prices in London have way outstripped other areas of the country. In 1970 you could pick up a house in London for 5K.

BS - where my parents bought the house it was greater london - dad wanted to buy in Harvist Road NW10 i think (we used to get off at Queens park station when we went to aunts) it was the price there was 45k - get real mate. We were in the market and i recall locaks saying to dad it cant be that much but there was no internet then i thin the year or 2 after prices crashed mate

i recall parents trying to buy at 17k and were being guzmped and ended up paying close to 30k - our property sold for 3.5k in leeds area called roundhay, nice area big house

try again but do your research first chump

Are you honestly, honestly, trying to tell me with a straight face, that there are people too poor to accept free food. **** me I've heard it all now.

Yes. Well, not too poor to accept free food, but do not have money to put in the gas meter to allow them to boil water to cook the free raw food.

It has been reported.

Food banks are REJECTING potatoes and root veg because people ‘can’t afford energy to boil them’, says Iceland boss

Food banks reportedly rejecting veg because people can't afford the energy to boil them

Fuel costs leave Beeston food bank users 'unable to cook'

I was a lodger in a house for a while (Enfield) that had a gas meter. The landlord was a dick and would often "forget" to top up the meter (bills were included in rent) and on more than one occasion the gas turned off in the middle of cooking. In the same way some people drive their car with the minimal amount of fuel in it, people on meters only put in what they can afford. Often then go without. Which is why ready cooked tinned food is vital for poor people.

My local food bank has asked people to stop sending rice and pasta.

People who need food banks are very, very poor. It is hard to understand how poor they are if you have any amount of money coming in each money, no matter how small.

There's some truth in most of the above. Education on cooking and budgeting is a good idea for those who want it.
Too much political ranting rot though.

Negligible truth in "can't afford to cook it".
Microwave - 800W for 5 minutes would do a pile of green veg, or 2 bowls of porridge, for £0.02p at 30p/unit. Gas should be cheaper.
Good size bowl of porridge itself from any supermarket would cost you, 4p for the oats and 10p for the milk. I have mine with water.

But much more, I can't say. I've only seen food banks on TV, and I don't have much idea of what benefits people get. Anyone seen an analysis of that?

I'm sure some could be criticised for expecting to get free food as a right, when they can't or won't figure out how to do things better, but people going to food banks may include some of the least able people. So it's to be expected.

Last edited:
Microwave - 800W for 5 minnutes would do a pile of veg, or 2 bowls of porridge, for £0.02p at 30p/unit.

Handy if you have a microwave.

I've only seen food banks on TV, and I don't have much idea of what benefits people get.

Find your local one, take a donation, speak to them, volunteer. You will learn so much about how poorer people live in the UK.

Sponsored Links
Back