Is he Right?? Tory That Blames Foodbanks Use on Those that "Can't Cook, Budget"

How many people have starved because of it? I've not read of any
Fillyboy votes for a party that forces people into starvation.

but Fillyboy says if he avoids reading about it, it can’t exist.

but don’t worry Filly, let me help you….

here ya go 2 seconds of googling:

Around 50% of claimants were experiencing food insecurity in May and June – with 29% experiencing severe food insecurity, the Welfare at a (Social) Distance research found
https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/04/half...oing-hungry-before-losing-20-a-week-15359201/

Universal Credit – “Children are going hungry. It’s not a myth, it’s a fact.”
https://www.childrenscommissioner.g...n-are-going-hungry-its-not-a-myth-its-a-fact/

Half of Universal Credit claimants are food insecure even with £20 a week uplift

https://www.kent.ac.uk/news/society...-are-food-insecure-even-with-20-a-week-uplift

Universal Credit hopes, heartbreak and hunger: 6 stories of people struggling on benefits in HuLl
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...versal-credit-hopes-heartbreak-hunger-5934387

Losing sleep and going hungry - Universal Credit claimants starving themselves to feed their kids
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/ne...-credit-hunger-suffering-deprivation-16856948

https://www.theguardian.com/society...t-delays-forcing-people-to-food-banks-says-mp
Universal credit delays forcing people to food banks, says MP
This article is more than 5 years old
Delays in government’s flagship welfare reform has caused debt, rent arrears and health problems, says Labour MP Frank Field

Sponsored Links
Dunno about the rest of the country but all round here people need an official referral from a professional organisation before they can receive food bank supplies.

This would be a GP, doctor or nurse or someone who works with people on a very low income. AFAIK, there are boxes to be ticked by the professional, to confirm the income of the individual in question and their eligibility for food and assistance.

Food banks are usually only open for 2 or 3 days a week and only a few hours.

people who need food banks often have to walk many miles to reach them.

Poverty is constant, miserable and grinding.

the right wing supporters on here have no idea what it’s like to run out of money before the end of the month and literally go without food.

it’s funny how plumbers, who can earn £500 a day are amongst those quick to call these people benefit scroungers.

Same here to, you can't just turn up and grab what you need for Sunday lunch on the way to the Apple shop.

It the same everywhere when the trusts are involved. Why do people get themselves into this

Prepayment meters are electricity and gas meters that let you pay for your energy on a pay-as-you-go basis. About four million UK homes have them and you top up prepayment meters online (if you have a smart meter) or via a key or card, which you can buy credit for at newsagents, post offices and garages, or via an app or online. While they can help to budget, you usually end up paying more for energy.
In general, prepay customers have access to fewer tariffs, typically pay more for their energy, and are more likely to be in vulnerable circumstances than those paying by other means.

Then there is the high interest short term loans. Obviously people use those for no reason at all. Why use hire purchase style arrangements to buy some things - that one is simple. Maybe needed and so little spare cash it would take years to save the cash price. That is a facility used by all sorts of people.

There are areas where people need a car in order to get to work. Even to shop in some and odd people might use a taxi instead - why do you think that happens?

Sponsored Links
Walk? Is there not free travel in many areas for those out of work etc??
I can tell you people on universal credit who go to food banks often spend hours walking there and back.

not much fun if you’ve not eaten for a day or more.

That just goes to show how unaware your are.
I have to say I was pretty unaware, but I have some people I follow on Twitter that have or still visit food banks….and food banks are only open for a few hours a week and yes people most definately have to walk to get to them

My wife works in a school and sees this first hand. Several times teachers have given their own money to send assistants (my wife's role) to the coop to buy sandwiches for hungry children, who are literally passing out at their desks in the morning.

I have heard such stories. I would ask why the parents are not feeding the children, seeing as the benefits system is so generous, and would suggest it is because the parents are spending the money on other things. Look at how many of your "poor souls" smoke, and consider the price of a packet of fags and how many children's breakfasts that price would pay for.
do you do charity work for your local food bank or the Salvation army or Shelter?perhaps you could explain what places you visit or pass where you will see people who are hungry???
The original post implied that there were hordes of starving children around, Dickens style.The starving adults one sees begging on the streets are a different matter, their suffering is self inflicted. Re. charities, I don't give to any that help people already in receipt of public money. I give more than enough to them in tax and receive no thanks for it.

Dunno about the rest of the country but all round here people need an official referral from a professional organisation before they can receive food bank supplies.

It depends on the food bank and how pushy, aggressive and threatening the "poor soul" is.

Why do people get themselves into this

Quite so. Regardless of the evils of the Conservative and Labour parties, much suffering is self inflected.

seeing as the benefits system is so generous
It doesn’t provide enough for people to eat

You need to either retract your statement

OR

provide the evidence to back it up

You should not be allowed to post blatant lies

The original post implied that there were hordes of starving children around, Dickens style

You claim you have never seen any poverty stricken children.

……yet you have never been involved in any activity where you might come in contact with them

Look at how many of your "poor souls" smoke, and consider the price of a packet of fags and how many children's breakfasts that price would pay for

usual disgusting claims from a right wing supporter.

I have to say I was pretty unaware, but I have some people I follow on Twitter that have or still visit food banks….and food banks are only open for a few hours a week and yes people most definately have to walk to get to them

I mostly grew up in a small private enclave in the middle of a B'ham overspill council estate. Pretty good really as easy access to the country in most directions. It's been surrounded even more since then.

I've spent a fair amount of time in areas in Pembrokeshire. I spent ~15 years working in Redditch. My wife was born in Wales in the valleys and has relatives there. :) Mind you her upbringing was rather different to mine. Her dad managed to finish up running one of the govs civic functions. Not all from the valleys will manage that. Her mother was a dispenser from the same area.

I see what I see and hear what I hear in all. There are similar areas all over the UK.

I now live in a B'ham suburb. Local shops in walking distance where food for instance is easy to buy. They never remain empty for long but businesses do come and go. In some areas they just go. We also use a super market from time to time. My wife may visit one via the bus for some therapy. Ok as she doesn't buy much. Once a month we go to one. Around a 25min drive each way. Bringing that lot back on a bus would be "fun". Walk forget it. Some areas don't offer the bus and that is why some might use a taxi to shop as they have no local shops at all. They can have to travel varying distances that are far too far to walk. I am also in easy walking distance from a well used food bank. There is a cut price food shop near and a small CoOp where as would be expected stuff may be more expensive than other sources. Our local butcher isn't cheap but does always offer good quality meat. He's not cheap. Same with the green grocer.

LOL You might say I am lucky in these respects. Many people around the country aren't.

Last edited:
I have heard such stories. I would ask why the parents are not feeding the children, seeing as the benefits system is so generous, and would suggest it is because the parents are spending the money on other things. Look at how many of your "poor souls" smoke, and consider the price of a packet of fags and how many children's breakfasts that price would pay for.

The original post implied that there were hordes of starving children around, Dickens style.The starving adults one sees begging on the streets are a different matter, their suffering is self inflicted. Re. charities, I don't give to any that help people already in receipt of public money. I give more than enough to them in tax and receive no thanks for it.

It depends on the food bank and how pushy, aggressive and threatening the "poor soul" is.

Quite so. Regardless of the evils of the Conservative and Labour parties, much suffering is self inflected.

I suppose you're one of those people that tell depressed people to cheer up, alcoholics to just stop drinking, and people with ptsd to just grow a pair.

Sponsored Links
Back