Is he Right?? Tory That Blames Foodbanks Use on Those that "Can't Cook, Budget"

It depends on the food bank and how pushy, aggressive and threatening the "poor soul" is.
IME, people who are genuinely stricken by poverty are not pushy or aggressive or threatening. In fact, they are too embarrassed and ashamed to admit they are unable to provide basic foodstuffs for their family.

Sponsored Links
andy11

If the benefits system is so generous, no doubt you'd be entirely happy to stop working and be in receipt of those benefits?

You make yourself sound sofa king generous when you use the word "give". You don't "give" money to people, you pay taxes to the Government. Like we all do.

And you make yourself sound like Rice Pudd regarding starving children. If you're expecting to see Dickensian waifs and strays wondering the streets tugging at your coat tails and begging "Please Sir, got any food?", modern poverty and starvation is not like that. It's hidden.

And as for adults inflicting homelessness, poverty and starvation on themselves that is ridiculous.

God forbid you should ever find yourself in a situation like that (which happens to all manner of people, don't think it won't happen to you).

I've seen it happen to a person I knew a while ago. He was a decent guy with a decent job, house and car He had money troubles, then lost his job, then started drinking to cope, then he lost his house, his GF left him and he was on the streets.

To have the attitude that all that is self-inflicted is unfathomable to me.

I was talking with my missus the other week about what we would do if we won the lottery. I talked about how fantastic it would be to find somewhere to build homeless lodgings with a canteen and supplies store and a food bank.

As long as I had enough money to be able to repair my house or car and not be in the red every month, I can hand on heart say I would be quite happy to spend the vast majority of my winnings helping people in need.

What would you do with your lottery winnings?

Hang on a minute

tis all very well people going on about poverty ect

I doubt any one in here has first
Hand experience of
Malnutrition caused by acute poverty

or children dieing for the want of clean water or a bar of soap

girls suffering in agony and dieing from fgm

or thousands ? Of woman and children living in squalor

nah I thought not

And your point is.........??

Why on earth would we need FIRST HAND experience of any of those things??

Sponsored Links
https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/11/tory-mp-lee-anderson-moans-poor-people-cant-cook-properly-16626557/

Quote:
Tory MP says poor people ‘can’t cook or budget properly’

I'm with him 100% but no fan of any politician

Not sure what they teach in schools but if they don't they need to teach

Ethics of work and what this does to self-esteem

Managing money

Shopping/Budgeting for food, bills and emergencies.

That society does not own you anything

Respect to the law/rules and politeness

How to walk before you can run

===========

It was our parents that taught us never to borrow money on credit unless buying a property and/or business and stopped me from buying my first car at 18 on HP. Their insight made us ie all children of our parents our children what we are today.

Re cooking, I was lucky as I've got four sisters and was never a fan of cooking but eating and mummy made food that everyone loved. Having pie/fish and chips was a treat and it happened not more than about 3 times a month. Why, because it cost a lot more than cooking at home.

Too many in society blame everyone else rather than themselves and want something for naff all.

I'm with this bloke on what it said.
This crap comes from a Tory.
Why do Tories say things like this?
In my opinion, they say it because they can.

The root of all of the problems in this area partlyy relate to what in some ways was an economic boom post WWII recovery ending when inflation and wage inflation started getting too high. Then augmented by a cost of living index that gives a distorted picture of what people often buy and basing wage increases on it later. Made worse by adding some electrical goods to it. Why - because they were getting cheaper. MrsT. Then another factor - the number and range of things people expect to own now compared with then. Possible mostly down to globalisation and cheaper labour. Costs of those sources of labour always increases over time as their living standards increase and they buy more goods. Their presence moves labour sources around. Some gain some loose. :( The west seems to loose all of the time. We seem to hope well trained brains will help. The EU relies on a market size and a degree of protectionism.

External forces are currently causing more problems.

spooky, Ive just spent all morning helping my wife do an FGM safeguarding course - I have to do the whole online course then sit with her while she does the multiple choice (My wife is very musical, t instrumental teacher, but terrible at memorising stuff)

spooky, Ive just spent all morning helping my wife do an FGM safeguarding course - I have to do the whole online course then sit with her while she does the multiple choice (My wife is very musical, t instrumental teacher, but terrible at memorising stuff)

Is that to do with spotting the sign s of fgm

In the teaching profession?

Hang on a minute

tis all very well people going on about poverty ect

I doubt any one in here has first
Hand experience of
Malnutrition caused by acute poverty

or children dieing for the want of clean water or a bar of soap

or thousands ? Of woman and children living in squalor

nah I thought not

Nobody i know has been murdered, so let's just ignore murderers, it doesn't affect me.

upload_2022-5-14_22-16-53.png

Down at Leysdown many often get buckets full of shellfish of sorts.
The sea goes for about a third of a mile from what we can see and in better weather, many people go out for their buckets and fill them up saving
loads of money. Really nice seaside place.

The bottom line is that almost without exception, we are better off than our parents, and our parents are better off than their parents before them.
My parents were 'relatively' poor, I was always clothed and fed so I can't claim we lived in poverty, the old man was a postman and mum was a part time cleaner, we lived in a council house and had to make ends meet, because mum worked we were one of the first in our street to own a telly, and in the early 70's , the old man bought a second hand Austin A40, **** me, we'd arrived, life was great. Today that would be considered 'poverty', is it?, is it really?, we were happy.

I can recall in the 70's there was some consternation over the pay of CEO's being 30 or 40 times higher than that of a shop floor worker, today that gap could be a thousand times higher, the profits of a company can almost run out of zeros to describe the amount, and yet if it dips one year, cuts need to be made. I feel that's wrong, but it's where we are, a result of globalisation, and lets not forget, the biggest supporter of globalisation is the EU.

Now we're out of the EU, we're already making more of a mark on the world, leading Europe on Covid recovery, the biggest and most powerful supporter of Ukraine
and leading the way on defence pacts with other European countries.

I genuinely feel immensely proud of everything Boris has achieved, it's nothing short of remarkable.

The lefties on here will no doubt tear me apart, but I guarantee you one thing, they will not be able to offer an alternative.

Sponsored Links
Back