Telecom (or Whomever it is ) Dropwires

From memory a drop wire crossing a public highway has to be at least 5.5 metres above the ground ( road surface ). About 15 years ago there was program where OpenReach staff checked the heights of drop wires . I recall this was after a vehicle snagged a drop wire. This caused an engineer working on the pole to fall and be fatally injured.

Sponsored Links
There appears to be no standard height for bracket attachment.
Mine is at gutter height. Adjoining house is 6 feet lower. Next door across drive is 3 feet lower. Next is gutter height again.
Incidentally the main offending drop wire has a pole directly opposite his drive where the next houses are connected.
The presence of a 25 foot diameter leylandii probably prevents connection to it.

There appears to be no standard height for bracket attachment.

I had to check, but - all the brackets are at the eaves, irrespective of whether pole is on the house side of the street, or the line crosses the street. The houses of my style of design on my side of the street all have very soft mortar, the rest have extremely hard mortar, all their lines drop down the front wall. Because of the too hard/ too soft mortar, the lines coming down the outside wall regularly end up flapping loose, with the inevitable breakages.

I hate to see cables dropped down walls, even more so if they are flapping loose and so decades ago I made an indoor root for all of them, through the centre of the house. No more line faults since then.

The actual street telecoms poles, are mounted around 50m apart, radiating lines to each house, with the main multi-pairs strung along the poles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back