Telephone call recorder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me on telephone call recorders please ?

I have a normal Openreach landline with a splitter that has 2 sockets which is close to and connected to the master socket. One socket on the splitter goes to my router for my broadband and the other goes to my landline. My current system is a Gigaset A510A with the "master" unit in my office into which the line goes from the splitter and two other matching phones in other rooms that are plugged into a BT socket.

I need to record the occasional incoming call and although according to the manual I can record a call, the duration is limited and there doesn't seem to be a method of transferring the recorded call to a pc.

The complete telephone systems that have the ability to record calls seem very expensive for what must be quite an elementary specification and I wondered if anyone has experience of the gadgets that can be plugged in-line between the splitter and the "master" unit ? I like the idea of being able to download recorded calls from a SD card or via a USB connection but I assume that these gadgets record every call and while that can be sorted when downloaded it would be better if I could find a system that has an option on each handpiece to record a call if neccessary.

If anyone can advise on the above or suggest a really good complete new system I would appreciate any help that can be given. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

A suitable product may be:
https://www.speakit.co.uk/products/retell-145-telephone-recorder

You could then plug it into a digital dictaphone for later transfer of the audio files, or a laptop for recording directly.

With the current move to full fibre, and VoIP phones, it will be a lot easier to record straight onto a PC, in the not too distant future!

An interesting video here:

Recording every call is fairly straightforward. Being able to record at will from one particular phone is fairly straightforward. Being able to record at will onto one device from several different phones is a tad trickier.
If you are handy with a soldering iron this little toy https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...&terminal_id=0db8434be96d4002981a1eb41d1ab6f6 could control an old school cassette recorder (Amazon still stock them, much to my surprise) or a more modern MP3 recorder (if it has a remote control port). You'd need an isolating transformer between the phone line and the toy (the audio to the recorder can sit behind the same transformer) and you'd have to remember to turn recording off at the end of the call.

Firstly thank you both very much for your help and advice. I haven't had chance to investigate your replies thoroughly yet but will come back to the thread later today when I have had a chance to digest your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

A suitable product may be:
https://www.speakit.co.uk/products/retell-145-telephone-recorder

You could then plug it into a digital dictaphone for later transfer of the audio files, or a laptop for recording directly.

With the current move to full fibre, and VoIP phones, it will be a lot easier to record straight onto a PC, in the not too distant future!

An interesting video here:
Thank you for that but my problem is that there will be times when calls are made or received on the other two handsets and the user will not have access to a recording device. I was rather hoping that something would be available that could be plugged into the existing splitter that had a double socket outlet (like the existing splitter does as shown) so that it could accomodate the existing 'phone line that comes out of the splitter and also to be able to accomodate the b/band cable to the router. The master socket and existing splitter were replaced FOC a few months ago by Openreach because of a problem I was having but all is well now.
View media item 107578

Nothing off the shelf that I know of, not tried call recording gear on a line with ADSL (broadband) on but as long as you attach the iso transformer after the broadband splits off you should be fine. You will have to get your soldering iron out though. Or pay to route your calls through a commercial solutions provider.

Interesting-just been having a read of the instructions and that external call record feature (page 38) appears to do exactly what you want. You may have to change the answering machine max message length (page 40) to unlimited, good odds that's a global parameter.
Transferring calls to pc- oldschool realtime, that wee interface that @RandomGrinch linked to would do it. Then it's play and record.

Sorry, I may be missing something! :)
I thought the device would record anything on the (analogue) line, regardless of which extension was used, so could be plugged in at the splitter?
And then an MP3 recorder /digital dictaphone with voice detection could possibly start the recording automatically should a call come in?
Definitely not a neat and integrated solution though :)

Attachments

• 1959133.pdf
    416 KB · Views: 107
Sorry, I may be missing something! :)
I thought the device would record anything on the (analogue) line, regardless of which extension was used, so could be plugged in at the splitter?
And then an MP3 recorder /digital dictaphone with voice detection could possibly start the recording automatically should a call come in?
Definitely not a neat and integrated solution though :)
Gah. There's 2 Retell 145 devices (or their website is pants) - the part I saw first is just an interface, the manual you linked to is the recorder bit. Have you seen the price of audio cassettes- £23 for a pack of 5 C90s. Sheesh.....
EDIT And yeah that combo should record all voice traffic on the line

Recording every call is fairly straightforward. Being able to record at will from one particular phone is fairly straightforward. Being able to record at will onto one device from several different phones is a tad trickier.
If you are handy with a soldering iron this little toy https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...&terminal_id=0db8434be96d4002981a1eb41d1ab6f6 could control an old school cassette recorder (Amazon still stock them, much to my surprise) or a more modern MP3 recorder (if it has a remote control port). You'd need an isolating transformer between the phone line and the toy (the audio to the recorder can sit behind the same transformer) and you'd have to remember to turn recording off at the end of the call.
I am able to solder but to be honest, having looked at that I think it's a bit beyond my capabilities (at my age !) but thank you anyway.

Interesting-just been having a read of the instructions and that external call record feature (page 38) appears to do exactly what you want. You may have to change the answering machine max message length (page 40) to unlimited, good odds that's a global parameter.
Transferring calls to pc- oldschool realtime, that wee interface that @RandomGrinch linked to would do it. Then it's play and record.
I have been having a play today and discovered that our A510A does indeed record calls if the correct options are taken. But I didn't know, until I read your last reply, that the recorded calls, which are placed on the answerphone part of the system, could have the time extended to unlimited. Surely there must be a limit as to how much audio can be recorded, I'll have a look at the manual. I probably need to come clean here and admit one of my many failings in life which is that I don't read manuals thoroughly enough ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do have one of these https://www.miniinthebox.com/en/p/digital-voice-recorder-x09-32gb-portable-digital-voice-recorder-rechargeable-voice-activated-recorder-with-noise-reduction-usb-voice-recorder-for_p8610115.html?currency=GBP&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=1_47|115_37493&country_code=gb&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=392965902858&adword_kw=&adword_pos=&adword_pl=&adword_net=u&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=92424158091_7688500680_82714771433_pla-1402029985818&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_8OPBhDtARIsAKQu0gbiJlQECkza0jfVF0_n1pokXmOFqi98jQDV5lkyRZeUuFOo1EcHo6oaAj7_EALw_wcB
and it's very good for recording audio. In fact I have used it to record calls when using hands-free on the 'phone and it works well and so I should be able to get the audio off my A510A just by playing the call back and putting it on this recorder and then I can delete the recorded call on the A510A after I have uploaded it up to a pc.

Last edited:
The limit on call duration will be whatever the capacity of the recorder is- no options to change bit rate so it'll probably be between 30 mins and an hour. Re the manual- not sure how much that phone costs, prob £20-£30, amazes me that for that small amount of cash you get enough complexity that it needs a 70 page manual to explain it all!

The limit on call duration will be whatever the capacity of the recorder is- no options to change bit rate so it'll probably be between 30 mins and an hour. Re the manual- not sure how much that phone costs, prob £20-£30, amazes me that for that small amount of cash you get enough complexity that it needs a 70 page manual to explain it all!
I can't remember how much the 'phone system was but it was quite expensive at the time. I think we've had it for a couple of years now, we only built the house 10 years ago and this is the 2nd 'phone system that we have had and I'm only guessing but I bet it was £150 at least. Bear in mind that there is the "base station" which has a cordless handpiece and then two other units in different rooms with cordless handpieces , each plugged into their own respective 'phone sockets.
I read somewhere in the manual that when the "answering machine" (which is where the recorded calls are stored) is full there is a slight beep and it stops recording although it doesn't terminate the call.
I need to test how long the system will record a call for because if it is for at least half an hour then I think it will suffice for our needs.

EDIT Forgot to mention that I have tested call recording on the base station 'phone and one of the other 'phones as well by using a mobile to make the call and all seems to work. I have obviously tested it both ways, calling from the mobile to the landline number and vice versa.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back