Telephone extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I would like to have six telephone sockets in my house, the idea being that a phone could be plugged in where needed, and give a better connection than a radio phone.

Normally, you can only add an additional three sockets, but am wondering if it is possible to install six (as long as I only used 3 devices at once). Also, what kind of wiring configuration should I use? Should it used two doublers, or is it okay to daisy-chain?

I would also be interested to know if it would be worth installing six core flex, in case phone companies started using this in the future (for additional services, etc).

Thanks
Hartly

Sponsored Links
number of sockets shouldn't be a problem

its well worth installing 6 core as it allows you to run the broadband signals completely seperately from the master socket and take them only to the point where they are required with no branches (which can be a big advantage if you are in a marginal area for broadband)

cable type wise its best to use BT spec CW1308 cable.

On the front of your master telephone socket, see if the bottom half of it is removable. If it is, you wire your extensions in there and daisychain. If not, you will have to plug in a phone extension wire and daisychain off this.

Sponsored Links
ipjodan said:
Or even cat5 cable
i'd disagree, the aim for best broadband performance should be to use the same cable that BT use so that the characteristic impedance will be the same.

Lines have a REN of 4. That means that if you add up all the REN values of your equipment (on bottom), you cannot have more than a value of 4 plugged in at any one time. If you do, you risk the phones not ringing.

You can. however, by a REN extender. These allow more equipment to be plugged in and still work.

Hi folks.

All sounds very helpful. Shame about the CAT 5 as I have a load lying around I don't know what to do with, but fear I will have to agree with George Michael, as it could be a pain to change later..

Anyway, where do I install the REN extender, can I just plug it in to the master socket?

Also, where can I buy the special BT cable -any nationwide retailers, or good web sites recommended?

The cable has been tampered on the way to the master socket. What can BT do about this -just moan, or worse?

Thankses.

You can get a REN booster to take it upto about 10 if needed - PM me if you want details.
Failing that many suppliers do small analogue telephone systems that may be suitable for home use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back