Telephone Headsets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm struggling at work using the telephone due to my partial deafness.
Background noise is a problem so am considering a microphone/headset with noise cancelling properties,
My NHS hearing aid is not compatible with the plain headset currently used.
Has anyone come across this problem and found a suitable headset?
I am speaking with Occupational Health but they may just ask me to find a solution for funding consideration. :(
Cheers
Doug

Sponsored Links
I can only say that the Sony noise cancelling headphones work well (Sony WH-1000XM3) both from a noise cancelling point and the microphone though I fortunately don't suffer from any deafness that I know of. They can be worn for long periods of time and remain comfortable and the battery lasts ages and they only take about an hour to charge. Their noise cancelling abilities are the work of the devil and they always connect with whatever bluetooth device I'm using. The Sony's have some natty features, you can set the noise cancelling so that it picks up immediate voices around you such as someone calling your name when working in the office or if you place your hand over the right cup it turns off the noise cancelling completely or you answer calls from a mobile or pause tracks/adjust the volume buy tapping or sliding a finger in a specific direction on each cup.

You can't actually buy the 3's any more as they're superseded by the newer 4's and also now the latest 5's and each time they've upgraded them they've allegedly made subtle improvements. I bought my 3's off Amazon Warehouse for £180 and even though it said there would be minor imperfections they were unopened. I see you can get the 4's off Amazon Warehouse £190, the 5's are more expensive. If mine ever die (I bought them when Covid first started as I needed to get some peace when WFH) I'd have no hesitation in buying another pair. On a plane or car or train the noise cancelling is nothing short of miraculous.

I know the Bose noise canceling stuff get's very positive reviews too, I daresay there are others and many will have similarly useful features.

Last edited:
I can only say that the Sony noise cancelling headphones work well (Sony WH-1000XM3) both from a noise cancelling point and the microphone though I fortunately don't suffer from any deafness that I know of. They can be worn for long periods of time and remain comfortable and the battery lasts ages and they only take about an hour to charge. Their noise cancelling abilities are the work of the devil and they always connect with whatever bluetooth device I'm using. The Sony's have some natty features, you can set the noise cancelling so that it picks up immediate voices around you such as someone calling your name when working in the office or if you place your hand over the right cup it turns off the noise cancelling completely or you answer calls from a mobile or pause tracks/adjust the volume buy tapping or sliding a finger in a specific direction on each cup.

You can't actually buy the 3's any more as they're superseded by the newer 4's and also now the latest 5's and each time they've upgraded them they've allegedly made subtle improvements. I bought my 3's off Amazon Warehouse for £180 and even though it said there would be minor imperfections they were unopened. I see you can get the 4's off Amazon Warehouse £190, the 5's are more expensive. If mine ever die (I bought them when Covid first started as I needed to get some peace when WFH) I'd have no hesitation in buying another pair. On a plane or car or train the noise cancelling is nothing short of miraculous.

I know the Bose noise canceling stuff get's very positive reviews too, I daresay there are others and many will have similarly useful features.
Unfortunately I need a USB connected microphone/headset for telephone use.

Sponsored Links
In addition to @Old Salt good suggestion, go on to your local council Web site and see if they have something like Deaf Support Network.

Unfortunately I need a USB connected microphone/headset for telephone use.
Are you connecting to a pc or tablet?
Do you have a budget?

A good pair of headphones and a separate USB microphone could also be an option depending on what connections you have available.

As it's work related, i.e. you are having problems at work, your health & safety people should be sorting this for you. You can request/suggest to them what equipment will help with the problem, but you do not finance it yourself. It is their responsibility to carry out an assessment on your workstation setup and supply any equipment to help you carry out your job comfortably.
Have a look here.

Are you connecting to a pc or tablet?
Do you have a budget?

A good pair of headphones and a separate USB microphone could also be an option depending on what connections you have available.
I'm plugging into a PC to use soft phone. Don't know my budget yet as my case is currently going through occupational health at work.

As it's work related, i.e. you are having problems at work, your health & safety people should be sorting this for you. You can request/suggest to them what equipment will help with the problem, but you do not finance it yourself. It is their responsibility to carry out an assessment on your workstation setup and supply any equipment to help you carry out your job comfortably.
Have a look here.

I've completed the DSE and highlighted the need for noise cancelling headphones for telephone use. I'm researching what is available to ensure they meet my needs rather than what their budget may offer.

When you find a pair please come back and give links to them etc. on here.

I had a similar problem years ago, before USB use of phones so had a plantronics headset into a phone.

I have had mastoidectomy surgery on both ears and I would thoroughly recommend bone conductive headphones such as "Aftershokz". I use a set with a microphone that runs via a bluetooth dongle in my work PC. Apart from being able to set the volume very loud, it leaves the ears open so that I can still listen in on important conversations in the room when needed.

I've completed the DSE and highlighted the need for noise cancelling headphones for telephone use. I'm researching what is available to ensure they meet my needs rather than what their budget may offer.
Their budget doesn't come in to it Doug. They have to pay for what is suitable for you personally.
They are not allowed to give you a generic headset, especially if you have an audiologist's assessment of your hearing showing what your problem is. If they see the assessment they may ask you to speak with your audiologist to find/recommend a suitable device for you.
Not that it should make any difference but, do you work for a large company/organisation or a small local/family firm?
The large ones usually know the rules and tend to abide by them as it can cost a lot more if it's later found they 'skimped' on PPE aids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back