Telephone Point Wiring For Replacement Cover

Do phones still need the bell wire (other than retro phones)?

Why have you got two wires in 3 and 2? If you had two in 2,3 and 5 I would have assumed that you have an extension running from it but I can't see how that extension would work with only 3 and 2.

I vaguely recall being told that 4 was reserved for "future use". I never did find out what that future use was.
It's not my wiring mine would be far tidier and a small zip tie would hold the cables in place. Perhaps it's not the best photo to demonstrate telephone cable terminations. More cables terminated is due to that being an extension that's feeding another extension. 4 is indeed unused.

Sponsored Links
It's not my wiring mine would be far tidier and a small zip tie would hold the cables in place. Perhaps it's not the best photo to demonstrate telephone cable terminations. More cables terminated is due to that being an extension that's feeding another extension. 4 is indeed unused.
My reply to it was intended to warn to not use it as I know it wouldn't have worked.
I assumed you were'nt posting it as awiring guide.

I appreciate all the applicable replies but I’ll be honest I don’t understand most of them, plus the thread got hijacked after the first reply which wasn’t applicable to my situation. I’ve therefore given up and will put it back together and leave it as is. Shame as it looks awful. Maybe I’ll ask my carpenter friend to make me a cover box. Cheers

I appreciate all the applicable replies but I’ll be honest I don’t understand most of them, plus the thread got hijacked after the first reply which wasn’t applicable to my situation. I’ve therefore given up and will put it back together and leave it as is. Shame as it looks awful. Maybe I’ll ask my carpenter friend to make me a cover box. Cheers
I don't quite understand that as up to post#8 it was in good faith responses relevant to your question.

Perhaps you would like to review post#8 and answer the question, with that information we may be able to offer some useful advice.:
4 of the previous 5 posts are correct that you are not permitted to touch your NTE (Original white socket).
Basically what you need to do is find somewhere else to put the NTE.

Are there any preceding junction boxes/joints in this cable or is it the cable coming in from the ground?
24ff68e8-9f05-47c7-9eb8-692aba02846a-jpeg.251647

I'll apologise for the confusion, unfortunately I thought post#10 & 11 were your responses.

Sponsored Links
First of all, if it's only being used for broadband you do not require any filter. If it's used this way all you require is a cable with a 'telephone' type plug to 6P2C plug, also there should be no extention wiring after where the router is plugged in. As a result of other recent threads I understand this is no longer supplied with routers:(

Is the oval box in a location where a NTE would be OK?

The oval is in the hallway. Not where the customer wants the router.

Thanks, I am aware that the filter is there for the benefit of voice calls.

On reflection, yeah the NTE boxes with the two types of sockets and inbuilt filter would make more sense.

If the cable from the pole (or wherever) is cut back to somewhere less conspicuous, then then remaining cable to where the present socket is, can be converted to an extension socket and the gold faceplate then used. You then would need to plug the modem in the NTE, and phone if needed into the gold socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back