Telephone ? Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't strictly electrical but it's near enough.

I had assumed that a wall box in my kitchen, that had a blanking cover over it, was some kind of electrical supply point. However, on removing the cover the cable appears to be a telephone one. Only thing is, the cable has 8 strands to it, not 4 as per a normal phone wire. Can I just use 4 of the strands. If so, which 4 ?

Sponsored Links
blue with white stripe - to connector 2
orange with white stripe - connector 3 (without this the phone will work, but just not ring, OOI)
white with orange stripe - connector 4 (though not strictly needed)
white with blue stripe 5

for the sake of not having them flapping around, green with white stripe can go in 1, and white with green stripe to 6 (though neither do sod all on a domestic telephone system), then its only the brown pair you need to disregard totally

adam read the f*cking post, he said he had 8! wires and didn't even say if they were standard phone color codes or not

to the original poster: you need to find the other end of that cable if you wan't to have a reasonable chance of making it work properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back