Telephone Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure where to put this but forgive me if it's incorrect.

I have a phone socket downstairs and it's fine but the socket upstairs doesn't work properly. I can plug in a phone and I can ring out but if someone rings the phone doesn't ring but the person ringing just hears the ringing??

Someone was telling me soemthing about master and slave and the pins have to be swapped but I didn't understand.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
most likely pin 3 is damaged/not connected. if you change it to a master socket, it'll split the ring signal so phones connected will work. or replace existing cable

I'm really ignorant but do you mean the box needs replacing on the wall to a master one? Can I geta master one from B&Q?

vishal said:
I'm really ignorant but do you mean the box needs replacing on the wall to a master one? Can I geta master one from B&Q?

the phone line comin into the house has 2 cores. these go to 2+5. the master socket splits the ringing signal from the 2 cores coming in an outputs this on pin 3. any phone will work on pins 2+5, but chances are they wont ring without pin 3 (since they havent got a ring signal). you should be able to get either new cable or a master socket from any shed. if you replace cable, leave it as a slave socket

Sponsored Links
Check to make sure pin 3 is connected at all sockets - same colour cable at each socket.

If this doesn't work - then you may consider a master.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back